Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hidden Files

• Please log in to reply

chocoloby

chocoloby

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hey all,

basically, i have reinstalled my window as the master HDD died on me, but thats ok. so i reinstalled and everything, plugged in my slave HDD back in, recovered all the files, checked the hidden files, all there, no drama. then i went to reinstall all the softwares, drivers, SP2, updates etc etc, and i realize all the hidden files doesn't show up anymore. i have tried to go to folder, tools, view hidden files and didn't work. so wondering can anyone help me with it please?

many thanks!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
chocoloby, what hidden files, where are they located?

Are you talking about files on the new hard drive or the old one?

chocoloby

chocoloby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ztruker, thanks for the reply!

the hidden files that i am after are located in my F drive, which is an old hard drive. but now, in general, i can't see any hidden files, no matter in the new hard drive or old one. thanks.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Try Kelly's #155 left side: http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm
Download and run the script file.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Are you getting an Access denied error or when you try to look at them with Windows Explorer you just can't see them?

If the latter, try running chkdsk /f against the drive as follows:

Open My Computer.
Right click on drive: (C: D: etc.) and select Properties (drive: is any drive)
Click on the Tools tab then the Check now button.
Check the "Automatically fix File System errors" box.

For C: you will get a window that says the check could not be performed ....
Do you want to schedule this disk check to run the next time you restart the computer?
Click on Yes.
Shutdown and reboot.

chocoloby

chocoloby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
thanks for the advice, i have tried the above method, reboot and the same. even i go into the windows folder in C drive, nothing shows up...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did yu try the Kelly's Korner fix that 1101doc posted?

chocoloby

chocoloby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
yup i have, i am wondering whether it would be some of the anti spyware or watever programs that i ahve installed. because i installed couple of programs (zone alarm, ad - aware, etc ) and a numerous programs such as media player, mega codec etc all in one go. and afterwards i realise i cant find the hidden files. thanks

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Boot to Safe Mode and see if they show then.

chocoloby

chocoloby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
tried to boot from safe mode, nothing happened, still doesn't show. should i hijack this and post the scan or soemthing? thanks heaps btw

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you suspect some kind of malware, I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

chocoloby

chocoloby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok, no problem, although i have no clue what has caused it, but i will try with the malware forum. thanks