Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"Windows did not start properly....."

• Please log in to reply

cswasson

cswasson

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was on the my laptop a while ago (it is a Toshiba Satelite M45-S351) and it shut off and restarted in the "Wndows did not start properly, you can choose to go to safe mode..." When I tried safe mode I came to a blue screen that said I had an Unmountable Boot Volume error. This happened about 2 months ago, now it doesn't do anything, just keeps looping back into the "windows didn't start properly" screen. If I try to boot in 'last known good conficuration' or 'safe mode,' I will get a BSOD screen, at least I think it is because it just flashes on for a quick second then returns to the "windows did not start properly" screen

My system came w/ only 2 cds, Express Media Player Recovery CD and a Toshiba Drivers/Applications Restore CD.

On the Toshiba cd it says to hold the 'c' key while the system starts up and depress when "Toshiba" screen appears. Only the screen never does, it stays black. I have checked my BIOS setting to make sure it is booting from the CD-ROM and it is.

Any help or advice anyone could offer would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Try this (from a different thread for the same computer make/model):

To recover your hard disk drive from a system failure using the utilities stored on your computer’s HDD, follow these steps:

1. If the computer is running, shut it down -- by clicking Start, then Shut Down, then Shut Down again.

2. Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard and then depress the computer's power switch. When the computer turns on, the Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility screen will appear, presenting three options:

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Well, it may be too late for a System Restore. This may be a problem due to a new installation - possibly of a system pack? What else were you running when you shut down last? What did you recently install? What were the time periods of when you previously turned off your computer - When it was working of course?

cswasson

cswasson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No new installation. No new updates. Was on a record label website and downloaded some music track, which I have done on 2 other computers w/ no problem. I was running Works at the time the computer shut down. At the initial shut down I was able to boot in Safe Mode. I ran a virus scan w/ Kapersky, it got about 25% through then shut off again. Now it' pretty much unresponsive. Except for the endless loop through 'windows did not start properly.'