Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

the geforce 9 series has been released.

• Please log in to reply

andrew brunner

andrew brunner

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
check it out www.nvidia.com

from what i have seen it looks like it will only work on pci-E 2.0 x16 slots. so i wont be getting it until i get a new mobo. which i don't know when i will be able to.

this is what newegg has for the 9 series they only have the 9600 so far

Edited by andrew brunner, 21 February 2008 - 12:28 PM.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
All cards that will work in PCI-E 2.0 slots will work in PCI-E x16 slots.

While they offer great performance, an 8800GT which offers superior performance can be had for around $200, so at $180-$190 the 9600GT isn't that great of a buy. In about a month when prices stabilize, they could end up being a great buy and a hugely popular mid-range card, like the 7600GT.

andrew brunner

andrew brunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

All cards that will work in PCI-E 2.0 slots will work in PCI-E x16 slots.

While they offer great performance, an 8800GT which offers superior performance can be had for around $200, so at $180-$190 the 9600GT isn't that great of a buy. In about a month when prices stabilize, they could end up being a great buy and a hugely popular mid-range card, like the 7600GT.

thanks, im thinking of waiting until the 9900 cards show up.

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
i'm gonna buy the best that's out at the end of the year when i have my money saved up :)

anyone know anything of the specs on the 9800 or 9900?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I wouldn't wait too long for the 9900. Just as there is no 8900, there are currently no plans (that I'm aware of, at least) to make a 9900.

The 9800GX2 should be released on March 11th. It, however, is not a true 9 series card. It is actually two G92 8800GTS GPUs mushed onto a single card (though it will have two PCBs). It is expected to give about a 30% performance increase over an 8800Ultra.

The 9800GTX, on the other hand, will be a true 9 series card. It is currently projected to be released in August, but things are always subject to change. It supposedly will offer 2-3 times the performance of an 8800Ultra. Here is a chart of the 9800GTX's rumored specs compared to that of the 8800Ultra.

Posted Image

Edited by stettybet0, 21 February 2008 - 08:30 PM.

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
It seems like nvidia is holding out on DX10.1/SM4.1 support for their cards. Do you think the 9800 GTX will have both dx10.1 and SM4.1? Or is it even a big improvement from the previous versions?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
As I said, the 9800GTX is expected to have 2-3 times the performance of the last generation's high-end, so yes it will be a big improvement. NVIDIA has said that they won't be supporting DX10.1, and instead will go directly to DX11. It is not yet known if the 9800GTX will support DX11, but if DX11 stays on target for its release (late 2008, early 2009), then it wouldn't be too surprising if it did.

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
I wasn't asking if the performance of the card its self will be a big improvement (that's a no brainier), I was asking if there is a big improvement from DX10 to 10.1 as well as SM4 to 4.1. I didn't know DX11 was coming out so soon. Well, it seems soon to me at lease. It's probably because I'm just getting ready to build a new family computer with my first DX10 card (hd2600 xt 512mb, not bad for $90-$100).

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Maybe this will be more helpful:
[quote name='http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=9656']When asked about the advantages of picking up a DirectX 10 graphics adaptor today, versus waiting for NVIDIA or AMD DirectX 10.1 products, Microsoft's senior global director of Microsoft games on Windows, Kevin Unangst, replied, "DX10.1 is an incremental update that wonít affect any games or gamers in the near future."

Microsoft isn't the only developer downplaying DirectX 10.1. Cevat Yerli, CEO of Crytek, states, "We pride ourselves on being the first to adopt any important new technology that can improve our games so you would expect us to get with DX10.1 right away but we've looked at it and there's just nothing in it important enough to make it needed. So we have no plans to use it at all, not even in the future."

NVIDIA's latest guidance describes DirectX 10.1 as "a minor extension of DirectX 10 that makes a few optional features in DirectX 10 mandatory."[/quote]
[quote name='http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200710/N07.1004.1210.04388.htm']Yerli: Itís bulls***. Itís a misunderstanding and miscommunication. DX10.1 does not make DX10 obsolete, and it doesnít make the hardware obsolete. 10.1 is the improvement on the API. Because DX10 was a little loose with the guidelines, 10.1 makes absolutely no compromises anymore. Microsoft made the spec to support the hardware manufacturers back then because of development times and SDK, so people could start developing for Vista. If a game absolutely requires 10.1, which no game will do because it would be economically a ridiculous call - if you were to make a DX10 only game, it would be 10 only, not 10.1. Otherwise, youíd rule out a whole generation of DX10 hardware.

The features that it supports are not critical. The difference is so minimal. You would have to have two more generations of graphics hardware to really consider making a DX10.1 only game where the [DX10.1] features then would become significant if actually used right. I didnít look at 10.1 because for me, I just looked at our engineers and said, ďNo, donít need it in the next 12 months.Ē (laughs) Thatís all I need to know right now.

From what I understand, even if you had the next generation of 10.1 hardware, it would be too slow to use the features. You would have to wait two more generations in order to get a real benefit from it. Remember, Matrix introduced environmental bump mapping almost 6-7 years ago? Normal Mapping and bump mapping just made it in the four years since then. In fact, Far Cry was the first normal mapped game to ship. When you look at it this way, itís the same as 10.1. 10.1 will become actual or three years from now. But not now.[/quote]

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Thanks, Stetty, that did help :)

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
DX10.1 is the update to DX10 i take it? so if the 9800GTX doesn't support DX10.1 will i be ok to use it for most games on vista that use DX10?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
As you can see in the articles I quoted above, no game would exclusively use DX10.1, so there is nothing to worry about. :) In fact, no game yet has used DX10.1 at all, and I don't know any that are planning on it.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moved to the hardware forum.