Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help with windows XP! windows take 10 mins or so to load

• Please log in to reply

trips487

trips487

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hello. I need help with my windows XP. I have just got my cpu clean with help from you guys so male ware and junk like that is out, but I still get my windows starting up very slow. It takes about 10 mins or so to load fully. Also sometimes when I download things I don't get the pop up that says what you download and how long it will take to finish, or it won't download at all. I try saving a picture so I can use on image hosts and the picture doesn't seem to save. If someone can help me that will be great. Also I don't have the windows XP CD anymore. When I bought my cpu online i never recieved one. I hope that won't be a problem because right now I can't afford to buy one. Thanks.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
We need to make sure your system files are OK. To do this, we can run the System File Checker (SFC).
Open the command prompt by going Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. In the Command Prompt, type in sfc /scannow (there's a space between the c and the /) and press Enter. Chances are that it will find problems. It will look in one of two places: your i386 cache or your XP CD. If it looks on your XP CD, and you don't have one, press Continue and keep chugging along. Take notes of the files you can't replace.

Good luck, and get back to us when you're done!

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hello. Thanks for the reply but unfortunally I don't think I can do that step. It says it need my Windows XP service pack Cd and I don't have it. It doesn't say continue anywhere. It just says retry, skip and cancel. I try skipping but it takes me back that screen thats says retry. Is there anything else I can do or is there anyway I can get the CD again. Thanks.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
As far as the CD, you needed it to install XP on your computer. Did you build your computer or did you buy it pre-made from a manufacturer, like Dell or HP? If you got it from a manufacturer, you should be able to call them and request a reinstallation CD from them. If not, your only other option is to buy a new copy.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Well I bought this PC off of Ebay through someone. It is a dell PC and they never gave me the XP CD. It was already installed in it. Do you think I can still get it from the manufacturer or no.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
You will need to fill out a Transfer of Ownership form located here. If you don't have the previous owner's name, it's OK if you have the express service code and the service tag. Once you have filled out and submitted this form, the computer will be under your name. Call up Dell and ask for an OS reinstallation DVD.

Edited by The Admiral, 21 February 2008 - 02:51 PM.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Ok thanks. You mention dvd but my cpu is pretty old and doesn't have a dvd player in it. It is just a CD drive. Can this still work or will I have to buy a dvd player for it.

Also where can I find the express and service code and tags.

Edited by trips487, 21 February 2008 - 02:56 PM.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
If you don't have a DVD player, they'll be able to send you a CD.
Your ESC and service tag are on a sticker on the side or back of the computer, on a labeled sticker. It can also be found in Start > All Programs > Dell Support > Express Service Code. The service tag is seven alphanumeric characters (ending in the number 1) and the ESC is a 14-16 digit number.

Edited by The Admiral, 21 February 2008 - 02:59 PM.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Nice! thanks so much for you help. After I recieve the CD from Dell I will post again for further help with this problem. Thanks again. Lastly, do i have to wait a few hrs or days for the transfer to ownership to work before i call Dell or can i call Dell right away when I am done. Thanks.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
For some reason they wont let me submit the transfer. It says i need to make sure I put a first name and last name but I dont have there names. I have place my first name and last as well as the service tags.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
is this an XPS or dimension computer? I'd like to refer you to customer care to get this ownership issue taken care of.

800-964-8321 (XPS Customer Care)
800-624-9897 (Dimension Customer Care)

Edited by The Admiral, 21 February 2008 - 03:26 PM.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
XPS? is that windows XP service pack 2 or something else. If its that then yes its an XPS. I tried putting the service codes in the previous owner's first name and last names and it said transfer was successful. Should I have not done that or is that alright. Also should I fill out another one if I made a mistake.

Edited by trips487, 21 February 2008 - 03:32 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
a couple of things you can try while you wait on the cd...Chkdsk and also lets see if the drive reverted to pio mode
Right click on my computer...then properties..

Click on the ...Hardware tab then the ...Device Manager... click the + beside IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers .... right click on each Primary and Secondary IDE channel choose ...Properties... click...Advanced Settings... tab. and list what you find as the Current Transfer Mode. for each device listed for each channel...
if any are in PIO mode...
EXAMPLE ..the Primary IDE channel shows its in PIO mode

Right click on the Primary IDE channel and choose ...Uninstall.......Accept the change...then reboot let Windows reinstall the channel and the devices assigned to it ...IMPORTANT.. then reboot again

Should the channel go back to the PIO setting again in the future it indicates a problem with your hard drive. You must keep your backups current ... I highly recommend keeping FREQUENT backups anyway...just in case your hard drive fails....

Using Chkdsk

Chkdsk is a utility designed to check the integrity of the data on a computer's hard disk drive as well as find and fix errors which could corrupt such data.

Running chkdsk on your Windows XP or 2000 system can repair minor Windows problems

There are several different methods that can be used to run chkdsk
start with this one.....

1. Click the Start button then... Run
2. In the Run window's Open box... type in ... cmd
3. Click OK and an MS-DOS-style black screen will appear in a new window
4. Run chkdsk by typing one of the the following commands where the cursor is blinking...
chkdsk c: /f /r and then press ...ENTER...

typing chkdsk c... /f /r will both fix errors and recover lost data. Running chkdsk with both the /f and /r options can often take a considerable amount of time depending upon the size of your hard drive and the amount of data stored on it

OR
chkdsk c: /f and then press ...ENTER...

Typing chkdsk c: /f will only fix errors that are encountered but its much faster

5. With either command, a message will appear that says...chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <y/n>"
6. Type y (for "yes") and then press ...ENTER...
7. A message will appear that will say...This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts
8. Type exit and then press ...ENTER...
9. Reboot the computer as you normally would and chkdsk will automatically begin running after your reboot... While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage.
You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.

Edited by happyrck, 06 March 2008 - 04:09 PM.

trips487

trips487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Thanks so much. I will do the steps above. Another question in my last thread I made in the maleware forum. I was told to uninstall the combofix and it will reset the clock settings, but my clock settings are still not back to normal.

Oh yea I never got the answer to what XPS is. Is that windows XP service pack 2 or something else. Sorry not that great in PC language :), and I put the codes in the names of the current owner on the transit for since it wouldn't let me send it and it said successful send. Does that mean it's alright or should I do it again.

Edit: I have found the solution to the java update.

Edited by trips487, 22 February 2008 - 02:07 PM.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
XPS is a model of Dell computer (XPS 420, XPS 200, etc), just like Dimension (Dimension 5100, Dimension 1250, etc.)
Now that you've got the transfer successful, go head and call in and get CDs sent to you.