Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

eMachine T6426 with XP Pro won't reboot

• Please log in to reply

flamartine

flamartine

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
1) Have a eMachine T6426 with XP Pro. Whenever I try to reboot, it freezes. Have to hold the power button in. Any help out there?

Separate problem, possibly:
2) When power up - sometimes - fans rev but the OS doesn't kick in. Other times the machine boots up properly after I push the power button to turn it on.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Emachines are known for 2 things, Bad Power supplys and weak motherboards. Either one can cause your problems. I would look into the power options and have everything set to never and see what happens. Sometimes when you have 2 separate hybernate or standby's running it can cause this problem. by separate ones i mean windows and bios both have them running. Shutting them off in the bios could fix the problem. I wouls also download speed fan and use it to check the voltages the motherboard see's. Low voltages ( 11.7 or less on the 12volt line, 4.5 volts or less on the 5 volt line) can cause real problems.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 21 February 2008 - 03:46 PM.

flamartine

flamartine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks for replying! The machine will shutdown elegantly. However, it won't reboot without freezing.
How do I check power setting in the BIOS?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't. eMachines rarely provide them in the BIOS, it'll probably tell you the CPU fan is spinning and that's it.
You would need a utility such as Everest or Speedfan to give you the voltages of the power supply.