Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP install: press any key to reboot

• Please log in to reply

Lukerion

Lukerion

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello Geeks to go!,

---------------------------------------------
I have a AT/AT Home made PC configuration/system...

1 Floppy disk drive (1.4 MB Single side)
2 harddrives (12GB & 40GB)
1 DVD player (Aopen)
1 RAM (128 MB)
1 PIII 450 Mhz Intel® Pentium® III Processor
1 Asus Motherboard (P2B-F) (BIOS: 1014f beta)

---------------------------------------------

Story:
Earlier on this machine, i had Windows 98 First Edition.
It Worked fine until i wanted to install a Wireless (external) USB Linksys adapter. Then i got a problem and chose to reinstall the PC to Windows XP Professional.
--Now, long story short.--
I actually succeded in copying the files to the harddrive 12GB after many trials of errors to get CD-ROM to work.
And when the Installation finally was over and PC rebooted. It said... I Qoute: "PRESS ANY MEY TO REBOOT".
Nothing more then that text comes up now and i wonder what could be the reason since there is many different Problems & Sulutions.
I have tried in principal all that these other Forum-posts "press... bla bla" says.
But nothing seem to help, no matter what i do.

I have tried MBR format.
I have tried Re-formating.
I have tried manual start of setup to come into Windows XP.
I have tried Safe-Mode.
I have tried ALMOST every button there is on that keybord but nothing seem to respond.
I only get the "[bleep]" Press any key to reboot.

Please, anyone with some idea's ?

-DJ Luke

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you tried a set of Boot floppy disks to go thru the install? I had to do this when someone brought me a computer that they had botched the XP install on.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

SRX660

Lukerion

Lukerion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello SRX660,

Yes...

As a matter of fact, that was what i installed it with to get going "AFTER" i managed to get SMARTDRV.exe going and CD-ROM drivers also.
6 diskettes total, then came the blue setup interface.

Then the formatting of partition and copying of files.

After the restart(No diskette in, no CD), i got the "Press any key to reboot" problem.

As it is right now.

Partition status "Active", NTFS, 4GB out of 12GB used for this partition.
Done copying files, restart, Problem.

...Any more ideas, please?... :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Lukerion...

You system specs really aren't good enough to be running XP Pro. You barely meet the minimum requirements so even if you do manage to get an install on there, it's not going to be very fast.

That said, what is the boot priority set to in the BIOS Setup? It should be set 1st - CD-ROM, 2nd - HDD, and 3rd - Floppy.

Is that how you have it set?

wannabe1

Lukerion

Lukerion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello Wannabe1,

Thanks for the req. checkup :-P hehe
Sad story... But should work... "just"

I have tried them all... it does not matter how i chose the order... or even if i screw it up with some zipdrive and stuff...
I promise. I tried all of em'!

I'll try once more from BIOS and see if hes "rested" enough from the horrible super OS :) haha Poor PC.
-Thanks
-DJ Luke

P.S. Just tried "again" does not work for me to choose that order. Or any other order for that matter. hehe

Edited by Lukerion, 21 February 2008 - 05:12 PM.

Lukerion

Lukerion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have to add though.
That i have actually managed to install W2K-AS on the machine's current setup.

I just dont get it why Xp does not wanna dance as nicely? :-P

Oh and Yes hehe... My setup in Boot order is like you said. hehe sorry, forgot to answer!

Edited by Lukerion, 21 February 2008 - 05:20 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are you using a retail (Microsoft) cd or an OEM (Dell, HP, other) cd to do the install?

When you ran the initial install, did you receive any "file copy" errors?

The Win2000 runs ok because it does not have the high system requirements that XP has...and that may be your best option...to run the Win2000. I've seen machines that just wouldn't run XP when the minimum requirements were barely met.

Lukerion

Lukerion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi again Wannabe1,

I have an original Windows Professional ENG OEM i think...
But its not for any special computer brand. This kind of OEM was for one PC only disc. No big manuals or so only the disc and a quick jump guide.

At least that was what they told me in the store that it was.

I also have another version of the CD, that one is different, not sure how. (hate when i cant answer specifically) But that CD could not be read properly at all when i was trying to install with it.

I hope you also noticed that i said W2K "AS" ? :-P
Trouble running that one with my network. Therefor i wanted to try XP instead.
Now im stuck in between all the systems ive tried on this poor PC.

-Thanks, DJ Luke

P.S. I do NOT have no other systems to try then:
Windows 98 FE-SE, Windows NT workstation 3.x (Somewhere), Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows XP Professional ENG OEM, Windows Professional SV (But this one could not be read properly)

Edited by Lukerion, 21 February 2008 - 05:51 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm really thinking its related to the system specs.

Let's try a parallel install and see if we can get Windows to install to another directory.

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

Let me know if you end up in the same loop with this one....

Lukerion

Lukerion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Wannabe1,

i can answer you already...
The problem i said i had to get the CD-ROM to work?
Was because the Boot of CD does not fucntion as it should.

Therefor i used a Custom diskette (made long ago) to get the CD-ROM to work.
I can only install by loadin driver for CD-ROM, go to the CD-ROM unit. /i386/winnt.exe to start installing.

Usual CD boot.
(Im guessing bootfont.bin?)
This PC will not (w.o.e.) read CD boots.

-DJ Luke

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry...missed that.

Have you tried running the setup using a Win98 Bootdisk? It has cd-rom drivers that are native to Windows. I may be that the custom drivers are fouling the installation. I would think the the XP bootdisk set would work better, though.

Did you get any errors at all during the original installation?

Lukerion

Lukerion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
"Last post for today" (01:14 here)

The diskette i have is made from an old W98 boot disk. with some custom files needed to do the most in DOS mode.
The lines & files that i copied from the original is all put together and worked like a clock earlier.
BUT nevertheless, i have an original too and same problem popped up..
Went on internet to look for options... downloaded the XP boot set (6 disks req.).
That enden where i am now... asking what to do next :-P "if there is anything TO DO. hehe

But i got another idea, while sitting here thinking. Is there maybe a problem with this BETA version of BIOS i have installed?
Because i thought that was the problem before in W98 with USB and so forth. So i updated the bios... W98 ran smooth.. but still no working USB wireless...

So then i chose to try W2KAS... But that one wanted my whole freak'n network controlled "as usual" :-P
So i had only one option left that I KNOW this unit works on. XP.

To bad you live on the other side of the planet mate. :-(
Maybe you could do some hands-on magic kind of stuff hehe...

I have dealed with alot of system setups and installs, but none this complex but still so "simple". *argh

DJ Luke... Here from you (or someone else) tomorrow!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let me give it a little thought...I'll leave you something to look at in the morning.... :)