Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frequent internet disconnection-LAN problem suspected

• Please log in to reply

uptown hunk

uptown hunk

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
HI,
I hane this very nagging problem..i have a broadband connection, the problem is it works fine for a while (sometimes longer) but all of a sudden internet wont respond..like i am disconnected..webpages cant be displayed, server not found etc etc...in the start menu ping.exe shows request timed out at this stage..Most of the times on restarting the system internet seems to work fine till the same thing happens again..!!! I told abt the prob to the service provider he checked it out n said the problem seems to be with LAN card i guess...But i dont trust him i want ur expert advice...coz if it was the problem i shouldnt have accessed the internet al all..!!
PLZZ HELP..thnx in advance

Advertisements

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
are you using a router at all if so change the MTU settings ,several of the routers I have seen had to be changed even with broad boand.

uptown hunk

uptown hunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
no buddy..i'm not using any router...i do use p2p sharing software but this problem began long before that...as i said most of the times i is rectified upon restarting...but of course not always..there r instances when i restarted n again in a couple of min i am unable to access any site..

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Try to boot to safe mode with networking and check if you will still encouter some problems if your'e on safe mode.
If your able to go online w/o any problem in safe mode, that means it's an application or software that's making your computer disconnect. Try also disabling your internet security.

uptown hunk

uptown hunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
thnx for the reply..No i dont think the frequent disconnection is because of some program...i suspected utorrent which i frequently use but the problem still persists when i'm not using it..!!

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
try to boot to safe mode so that we know what;s causing that.

Edited by wytboy55, 22 February 2008 - 02:00 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

i do use p2p sharing software

You are aware that we here at Geeks to Go! will NOT assist any user troubleshoot issues which may aid in the use of P2P applications, right? Sadly, helping you with your internet connection also helps you download what could be illegally obtained files. While my expectation is that this topic will close very soon, I'm going to have to refer it to the moderation team for their review. As much as I'd like to help you, P2P is going to stop me from doing that through my own morals as well as forum policy.

We will not support or allow the discussion of any peer to peer (P2P) applications, except for their removal. - Policy 3:14

This topic has been reported to the moderation team for review. DO NOT reply to this topic unless otherwise instructed to by Geeks to Go! Officials.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
If you can temporarily resolve the issue by restarting your system, then the issue isn't with your provider. It lies with the system. I bet if you do 3 things the problem wont return:

disable/remove all p2p software

restart computer

do everything you normally do except p2p.

I bet your system runs just fine. p2p apps work in a very interesting way in how they share files. However, they also have a very bad networking componet. It tends to run rampant all over your available bandwidth.

What I recommend is that you remove all your p2p apps. Visit our malware forum and make sure you are not infected with malware. p2p apps are notorius for distributing malware and virus's. Once you get a clean bill of health

Until this has been completed, we are unable to assist. At this point, I am closing the topic. If/when you follow these instructions, feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to reopen the topic.

uptown hunk

uptown hunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
So folks i appreciate ur suggestions n have followed them but unfortunately the problem persists....Like i still get intermittent replies while pinging in run menu most of the time..Also the network diagnotics scan in the help and support center usually Network Adapters ie Default IP Gateway or IP Address shows result as failed ... What Should i do...???? :) :)

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
i suggest follow what they told you to do. Having a P2p software probably gave problems to your computer. Even though you removed those p2p software already, your computer might be infected already. So i suggest going to the malware forum will help you with this problem. I have used P2P softwares before and i have encountered nothing but problems with it. So i stopped using it 2 years ago.

uptown hunk

uptown hunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
As i said dude i'm jus out of the malware forum n my instructer said my pc is clean (i knew that anyways)...And i seemed to have realised by now that P2P could have contributed to the problem but wasnt the Cause...None the less the problem persists (Although the frequency of disconnection seems to have reduced)..So folks have u any alternate solutions...???? :)

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ok, so at least we're sure now.

How about Safe Mode? That didn't help, right? You also chose "Safe Mode with Networking " at the boot menu, correct?

Have you tried resetting the modem by disconnecting power to it? If you unplug the modem for 15-30 seconds, it might help. Sometimes they just need to be reset.

uptown hunk

uptown hunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
As a matter of fact i havent tried booting to safe mode as of now..But thats the next thing i'll do and get back... :)

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Try all the suggestions above and then post the report.