Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with 100% cpu usage

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

pagerman

pagerman

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all,
I have a p4 machine with WinXP Pro SP2 on it. This morning my computer was fine, and I did not install anything, but tonight when I boot, my CPU usage goes to 100% solid and the computer is very slow and the motherboard temp warning starts almost right away..... in safe mode it is better, but eventually the same happens. All I recall is that Trend Internet Security updated.
The task manager shows that the process that is at 100 (well 99) is SYSTEM.

Any ideas??

One clue.... sometimes the screen has lines in it. Is it possible for a videocard to do this?

Thanks in advance!
Bob :tazz:

Edited by pagerman, 22 April 2005 - 08:20 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
laptop?

Could be a videocard failing, could be a heat issue

start > run
event.vwr.msc
<enter>

Check SYSTEM and APPLICATION for Red Xs, report back

pagerman

pagerman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Desktop

Will check that and be right back

pagerman

pagerman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
event.vwr.msc doesn't exist on my machine... do I need to dl someething?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
whoops, typo

eventvwr.msc

no period

pagerman

pagerman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
There's a bunch of red x's.... the most common are

APPLICATIONS:
nview_info
SecurityCenter

SYSTEM:
ServiceControlManager
WMI Performance Adaptor
DCOM

does that help?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you really need to double click those to get more info

rough guess

APPLICATIONS:
nview_info <== big issue, disable the deskview thing that came with your video driver. Known to cause stalls
SecurityCenter--best find out why this is bad

SYSTEM:--these tend to work themselves out
ServiceControlManager
WMI Performance Adaptor
DCOM

pagerman

pagerman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Could the video card be failing?

However, I am in Safe Mode on that machine now for a while with no problems....

pagerman

pagerman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
GOT IT SOLVED.

As I said above, I got an update from Trend....
Turns out it must have been bad!!!! I was working and a "update box" showed up (I don't have automatic updates on, I want it to ask!), well, I dl'd the new update and presto.... all is well!!!

What a pain!!!!

Thanks for your help!

Molix

Molix

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Earlier this evening computers in my office started succumbing to the 99% System process, and I've been trying to figure out why ever since. I think it must have been the Trend Micro update, because the machines just started getting better on their own, and when I check the virus definition file, it looks like it was updated a couple hours ago (i.e. while I was searching for a solution). Could it be that they released a bad image and then patched it silently? I dunno, but I'm going home.

Advertisements

canadian

canadian

• Pip
  • 1 posts

GOT IT SOLVED.

As I said above,  I got an update from Trend....
Turns out it must have been bad!!!! I was working and a "update box" showed up (I don't have automatic updates on, I want it to ask!), well, I dl'd the new update and presto.... all is well!!! 

What a pain!!!!

Thanks for your help!

View Post

ok guys, i had (rather have) it too. My system just started showing 99% cpu usage for SYSTEM and I am not ABLE to come out of it yet as it does not let me start my stupid comp. Lord save them if they did it. There will be 10,000 comps in our labs that will get affected by this nonsense of theirs.

:tazz:

DonQuixote

DonQuixote

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had this as well, and yes, it's due to a dodgy update from Trend.

From http://kb.trendmicro...olutionId=24264

Windows XP Service Pack 2 machines with critical patches and PC-cillin Internet Security 2005 starts to experience high CPU utilization after updating to Pattern 594
Product:    PC-cillin Internet Security

Version:    2005

Solution ID:    24264

Created:    4/22/2005 6:23:14 PM

Problem:   

Solution:    To resolve the issue:

1. Start the machine in safe mode:

1. If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power.

2. Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.

3. Start entering the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears.

Note: If the Keyboard Error message appears, restart the computer and try again.

4. Select the Safe mode option.

5. Press Enter. The computer will then begin to start in Safe mode.

2. Go to the c:\program files\trend micro\Internet Security 2005 directory then delete lpt$vpn.593 and/or lpt$vpn.594.

3. Restart the computer. After restarting, open PC-cillin and perform an update by clicking Update Components.

In case you are unable to update properly, a manual update can be performed. Refer to Solution 21946.

pjniez

pjniez

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I started having the same problem when I booted my laptop this morning. Last night when I shut it down, everything was fine. But this morning, I noticed the CPU was running at 100%. I couldn't figure out why. So, I did a google and found this thread. Thanks so much!

The unfortunate thing is that after several, several years of using Norton Antivirus, I decided to try something else when my subscription ran out. I just bought Trend Micro's Internet Security 2005 last weekend. One week later and my CPU usage is pegged at 100% and I can't use my laptop? We are NOT off to a very good start with this product! :tazz:

Thanks again for posting a solution to this problem!

Paul

Eriboll

Eriboll

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This problem also affects OfficeScan Corporate Edition - http://kb.trendmicro...olutionId=24263

Steve2005

Steve2005

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks for everyone who contributed to this thread. My machine experienced the 100% cpu dragdown Friday evening. I had my Trend Micro preferences to update automatically. Regretfully, the problems started after I had restarted the machine several hours after installing two new applications, which turned out was a complete misdirection. I have been searching through my registry, removing applications, etc all day long. Pretty frustrating.

I have used Trend Micro for two years now and have, up until now, had no problems. This one was quite painful though ...