Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nehalem and future build

• Please log in to reply

ike1985

ike1985

• Pip
  • 1 posts
At first i was sold on a build with all the current best parts, waiting for the 9800 and 790i so i could run ddr3. However, theres alot of talk about ddr3 being scrapped for next gen ram (PRAM, FRAM, etc_ techs soon to arrive. I dont see the point in dropping 2G's plus now in a top of the line system, when nehalem comes out toward the end of the year and by then all your setup is obsolete. I think a nehalem with 9800's would be my best bet, does anyone know any motherboards that are in productiion or will be out when nehalem is out that will support nehalem? thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Golden rule of computer hardware:

Whatever you buy it will eventually become obsolete. Usually sooner rather than later. In this day and age, anything over 12months old is considered obsolete.
There is always something new, something better and something cheaper just round the corner.
If you constantly wait for new technology, you'd never buy anything because things change so quickly.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I fully agree with Neil. Don't look towards things that will be released a year away as there will always be something better around the corner. You can plan the waiting game, but in the end, you'll never build your computer. I personally cannot see DDR3 being scraped any time soon.
James