Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell was XP...now it's Win2k

• Please log in to reply

w2kj

w2kj

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I was given a Dell Dimension 4500s form a friend. The ol' XP Home edition just wasn't performing the way it ought to. I have a legit copy of Win2k (not a Dell version); which I have installed it into said Dell.

I have gone to dell; not much luck finding what I need. I need the graphics controller, multimedia audio controller, PCI device, and PCI simple communications controller drivers.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Problem with Dell is the bits are totally unique to Dell, therefore the only place to get any drivers will be from Dell. So if you have a machine that you've loaded Win2k on and there are no Win2k drivers available from Dell, that will probably be the end of the matter.

But having said that, most Dell computers are virtually identical anyway so you may find looking up an older system with access to Win2k drivers could work just as well. This isn't a guarantee, but it might be worth a shot.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
click the link below:
that site will give you the drivers that you need for your computer. Drivers there are available in windows 98, 2000, ME and XP.

CLICK THIS LINK

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
wytboy55, that does not appear to be true. When I go to that site all that is available is XP and MS-DOS (weird)!

You need to open up the computer and remove the PCI cards so you can determine the make and model number then search teh internet for them. If any are integrated on the mother board then you need to determine the make and model number of the board and go to the manufacturers web site for the drivers.

BTW: XP drivers may work on W2K, just as W2K drivers will usually work on XP.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Actually, wytboy55 is correct. Even though the machine only shipped with XP, most (if not all) of the drivers will support multiple operating systems. If you expand the driver category and click on the top link in the driver field of the driver you need, then scroll to the bottom and click on the compatibility link, it will show you what operating systems the driver will work with.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
My apologies if I'm wrong, but I looked at 6 or 7 of them and I don't see any W2K.

Shouldn't the Operating System drop down show you what OS's drivers are available for? I would expect that to jibe with the Compatibility link.

Edited by Ztruker, 22 February 2008 - 05:59 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
A lot of it depends on the device installed...especially the audio, but most will look like the image below...which is for the chipset.
chpst.png

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
I looked at several of the Audio and Video devices listed and none had drivers listed for anything but XP, I must have picked the worng ones :) so I guess it's a crapshoot.

I wish w2kj a lot of luck, should be an adventure.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I think the OP needs to download and install Everest Home Edition or Belarc Advisor to find out what hardware he actually has. Most of the drivers will work with 2000 as well as XP if the hardware is correctly identified. If not he can go to the hardware maker's site to get the right drivers, but it still depends on proper identification of the hardware.

w2kj

w2kj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thank y'all for the help....it's given me some sort of direction. You're right Ztruker...it's a crapshoot right now; Tyger, thanx for reminding me about Everest (I've never heard of Belarc...but I'll check into it.)

If y'all think of anything else....please post it :)

--w2kj

Edited by w2kj, 23 February 2008 - 08:33 AM.

w2kj

w2kj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
:) I finally got around to try Everest Home and Belarc to find the correct drivers for my free Dell....well I got the right ones and it's just purring now. Thanx again. :) :)

Edited by w2kj, 02 March 2008 - 05:09 PM.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
that's great ! glad you figured it out yourself.