Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet connection conflict?

• Please log in to reply

mike dell

mike dell

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Details:
Dell Inspiron 1100 Laptop
Comcast High-Speed Internet
XP SP 2 (upgraded online from SP 1)
Modem: Scientific Atlanta WebSTAR 2000 Series Cable Modem (also functions as a broadband phone modem).
Wireless Router: Netgear Range Max, WPN824 v2
PCI Wireless Card: Linksys Wireless G Notebook Adapter

IP Address: 98.193.253.146
Another "IP Address" listed, says "?"
Default Gateway: 98.193.253.1
Ping Address: could not find host

Problem: I was initially able to hook up directly to ethernet port (at a different household, ethernet cable running from a Linksys Wireless router's Port 1). I got my own Comcast account, the tech plugged in modem and loaded setup and driver from cd-roms. He had trouble keeping an ethernet connection. After he left, I lost ethernet connection and went to USB hookup, which has been doing well. I'm showing two LAN connections, one using the cable modem, the other showing the Broadcom Integrated Controller (a stock network adapter from Dell I believe?), and the Wireless G Note Book Adapter wireless connection. Both the wireless connection and Broadcom-affiliated LAN connection state "Limited or no connectivity" and "Network did not assign a network address to computer." A glance at the Device List will show all adapters, with red x's depending on which has been disabled at a given time. "Properties" for the Broadcom through Device Manager shows it to be functioning properly, yet the Broadcom Diagnostics says there is no driver for it (it has been downloaded properly). An IE connectivity diagnostic check warned of a problem because of two ethernet adapters. Where to start, please? Thanks, Mike

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I would suggest deciding which connection you want to use and then troubleshooting that one. No sense jumping around and creating variables. :)

Once you do that, open a command prompt (click Start and then Run and type cmd in the box and hit Enter). You should see a black screen with white text. Type ipconfig/all and copy and paste the results back here.

mike dell

mike dell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I would suggest deciding which connection you want to use and then troubleshooting that one. No sense jumping around and creating variables. :)

Once you do that, open a command prompt (click Start and then Run and type cmd in the box and hit Enter). You should see a black screen with white text. Type ipconfig/all and copy and paste the results back here.

Thanks, I will do this when I'm bck at that computer.

mike dell

mike dell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
O.k., here we go:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MUSICIAN
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.tn.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.tn.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Scientific-Atlanta WebSTAR 2000 seri
es Cable Modem
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-47-54-93-86
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.52.22.35
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : ?
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 68.52.22.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.68.10
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.68.162
?
?
?
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, February 25, 2008 8:41:55 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 29, 2008 6:27:13 PM

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : ?
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

mike dell

mike dell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
USB works fine. I tried disconnecting usb, hooking cat5, and power-cycling the modem. I'm continually left with "limited or no connectivity," "network did not assign network address to computer," and when trying to repair connection, it says it cannot refresh ip address, or something to that effect. Of course, it shows that the connection has been made at optimum speed, but few if any packets are being received.

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
What happens if you connect via cat5 and go to the command prompt and type "ipconfig /release" and then type "ipconfig /renew"?
By the way, it looks like that "Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface" causes a lot of problems and should be disabled if you're not using it.

mike dell

mike dell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

What happens if you connect via cat5 and go to the command prompt and type "ipconfig /release" and then type "ipconfig /renew"?
By the way, it looks like that "Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface" causes a lot of problems and should be disabled if you're not using it.

I don't know what the tunneling interface thing is! I can look for it though.
The other: I did try this earlier. It said that the address had been released, but that it was unable to contact dhcp server.

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Have you had an opportunity to disable the "Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface" ? Please make sure that the wired interface is the only one enabled and rerun those commands and post the output for comparison.

mike dell

mike dell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Have you had an opportunity to disable the "Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface" ? Please make sure that the wired interface is the only one enabled and rerun those commands and post the output for comparison.

I did disable the pseudo interface by typing ipv6 uninstall at command prompt. I just re-ran commands you suggested and these are the results:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig/r

Windows IP Configuration

IP Address for adapter Local Area Connecti

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig/r

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface
ontact your DHCP server. Request has timed

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

mike dell

mike dell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Solved: I enabled ethernet/cat5 connection, and while it was Acquiring Address, I power-cyled the modem...except this time, it really DID make an internet connection! The Teredo Psedo Interface might be a future red-flag for connectivity problems. Thanks everyone for their help.