Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't Go Full Screen With Games :(

• Please log in to reply

Sorella D

Sorella D

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm in need of some assistance, please. For some reason, my computer has decided it doesn't want to put my games in full screen mode anymore. When I hit the full-screen option, it moves it to the upper left hand corner of my display, but it's still the same size as it was in window mode.

I've updated my video driver (NVIDIA), and it didn't help. My card is a GEForce 7300 LE.

TIA

Stephanie

Advertisements

Gr1ff1nd0r

Gr1ff1nd0r

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Maybe check your resolution size of your desktop properties?

Sorella D

Sorella D

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I did as you proposed, and it helped....temporarily. Now, it's back to doing the same ol' thing. I'm at a total loss.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
When you choose full-screen, does it flash your monitor like it's about to go full-screen then shrinks back down to windowed, or does it never go full screen at all?

Also, do you know the max resolution of your monitor?

Sorella D

Sorella D

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It flashes like it's going to go full-screen, then returns to window mode. I *believe* my max resolution is 1400x900, but I can't be sure...this is a fairly new computer...I bought the monitor for my old computer, and just moved it to this one. I would've thought that was the problem, but I bought it in Nov,and it's worked fine until just recently. On this computer, if I use any other resolution besides 1280 x 1024, it looks like crap. It's a ProView monitor, but I'm not sure of the size anymore.

Stephanie

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
It sounds like what happens when you choose a resolution the monitor does not support. To find out what the desktop resolution is, Right Click (on the desktop) -> Properties -> Settings and see what the screen resolution is. The list of resolutions in that slider bar should be supported resolutions so try and adjust your game to one of those.

If you've tried this or it doesn't work, report back :)

Sorella D

Sorella D

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Changing the screen resolution works temporarily. But after opening the game a few times, it goes right back to where it was. The resolution options available for me are:

800 x 600
1024 x 768
1152 x 864
1280 x 768
1280 x 800
1280 x 1024
1360 x 768

It looks BEST at 1280 x 1024, and is passable at 1152 x 864, but all others look horrible. All the other resolutions make my text and graphics look mottled.

Steph

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
what game? often you can modify the shortcut to force screen resolution. I know with cod and battlefield you can do this.

Sorella D

Sorella D

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It's all of 'em. I have probably 15 hidden object games (4 of them are Mystery Case Files), and they all do it.

Stephanie

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
BigFishGames.com, the makers of mystery case files,Recommend that you follow these instructions:

Please submit a support ticket through the support system, also a Direct X Diagnostic would be great to include with that.

this is done through contact customer support

To get a direct x diagnostic you would go to Start, Run and enter dxdiag. It will run for a min. Save the output (text file) to your desktop. Just attach it via the forum.

When you change the screen resolution, are you doing so in game or through control panel?

Sorella D

Sorella D

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
When I change screen resolution, I do it through the Control Panel > Display Properties.

I checked with BigFish, but, since it's not *just* the MCF games, they can't help me.

Stephanie

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
lol. First when dealing with support for a product, never admit at first that it is happening with other apps. That way they will give you some attention before they just automatically pass the buck. Go ahead and post your dxdiag here (use the attachment feature found at the bottom right of the "text entry" when you reply).

Sorella D

Sorella D

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
LOL Thanks. I guess I'm just too danged honest sometimes. When they ask, I tend to tell 'em :)

Heres my dxdiag...attached

Steph

Attached Files

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
does it do this only for games, or are non game applications affected?

Sorella D

Sorella D

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The only non-game application I use full-screen is WinAmp and WMP. I don't seem to have the problem with either of those.

Steph