Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excessively Slow With New PSU

• Please log in to reply

Joe Beaven

Joe Beaven

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

The PSU in my Windows XP PC recently failed, so I went to a professional computer technician and he was able to move the contents to another case of mine which had a power supply.

My old PSU was from 2003, 350W and designed for a Pentium 4 system (which is what I've got) and the new one is from 1999, 300W and designed for AMD. The technician said this would be OK. My old case had a non-standard size PSU which would be very hard to find a replacement for.

The system now runs extremely slow when run normally (it's OK in safe mode) and I had to disable my Ethernet Controller to get it to start normally at all (I don't use it and it said there was a problem with it in device manager before the PSU failed).

If you move the cursor you only see it every couple of inches or so on the screen. If you click Start it'll take about 5 minutes for the menu to appear. It's incredibly slow. I just ran a checkdisk which took 5 hours and made no difference to the system performance.

Please can someone tell me how to correct this problem as I need it working again urgently.

Thanks,
Joe

Advertisements

andrew brunner

andrew brunner

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
ur old psu could of took something with it, but since ur comp is working idk)

my suggesting it might be the ram, try reseating it, and if that dont work, and if you have more than 1 stick of ram start ur comp with only one stick of ram and see how that works

Joe Beaven

Joe Beaven

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've installed a new 450W PSU designed for Pentium 4.

I tried restoring from my Norton Ghost backup from the startup CD (not in Windows). It went to 67% and stopped so I tried again and I got an EBAB0003 error so I formatted the C drive, installed Windows and tried again from within Windows and got the same error. I am able to restore individual files however so I started doing that which was very slow and failed occasionally which I think is because I hadn't got USB 2 drivers installed.

I then installed Kaspersky Internet Security and my Wireless PCI card so that I could get online and install XP Service Pack 2 so that I would have the USB 2 drivers. I was able to install the card, but afterwards it wanted to restart but if I did that normally Windows just hanged at the Windows XP screen with the blue bar scrolling across and I had to restart with the last good configuration.

I was able to get online after installing the PCI card (without restarting) and install Service Pack 2 twice but each time after the restart Windows would hang at the same screen and I would have to restart with the last good configuration again after which Service Pack 2 was no longer installed.

Each time I restart successfully my PCI card appears to still be installed but either can't detect my wireless network or refuses to connect to it and I have to reinstall it if I want to get online.

Please can someone tell me how to stop this happening and set Windows up again as it's driving me mad at the moment?

Thanks,
Joe