Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updating intel chipset drivers... how to?

• Please log in to reply

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hello, does anyone know how to do a clean update of intel chipset drivers?

I've been trying to figure this one out for a few hours and have been stumped. I can't find a uninstall function for this and the documentation on Intel's site states that you don't have to.

http://www.intel.com.../...ts infmain

So, does this mean it'd be all right to just run the setup.exe? Does this mean it'd automatically overwrite the older files?

Thank you. :)

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Exactly right, Chicken mania. Just run the setup file and it will overwrite the existing intel driver files. If the new drivers cause any problems you'll find the option to "roll back" to the older drivers in Control Panel (Classic view)->System->Hardware->Device Manager. The chipset drivers should be listed under "System Devices" -- if you double click any entry there you'll get a 'Properties' dialog-box and under the 'Driver' tab you'll see buttons for "Roll back driver" or "Uninstall". The "Update driver" button here would only be used if you want Windows to check Microsoft's own driver library for a newer driver, but since you already have new drivers from Intel with it's own installer that button is irrelevant.

Edited by pip22, 22 February 2008 - 04:54 AM.

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Right, thank you for the advice. :)

'Cos it's been a long time since I did any of this, I'd to ask. :)

Again, thank you!