Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network adapter installed, but not recognized (disconnected)

• Please log in to reply

shampton2

shampton2

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hey there. I am wondering how to fix my laptop. Last night, when I shut it down all was fine. This morning, when I booted it continuously looped. I tried to boot from the CD and repair XP Pro, but ended up reformatting. I wasn't storing any data on it, so this was fine. Okay, but now, I can't get it to recognize my network adapter. I uninstalled and reinstalled it, and all of the other items that are listed in the device manager under Other Devices (they ALL have a yellow question mark). When I try to set up the network, it says:

The network connections listed below are disconnected.

And there is only one there. I feel lost without my laptop. :)

Summarah

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Although most internal network adaptors are recognised by Windows by means of it's own built-in drivers, a few are not and they need third-party manufacturer's drivers. For laptops the usual driver source is the laptop maker's website, as often a laptop's devices are custom made and won't function properly without custom drivers -- which only the laptop maker's website has.

Go to their website (the correct one for your country) and select or enter your exact model on their driver-downloads page. It's important to use the correct website for your country since laptops are shipped all over the world with different names and/or model numbers according to the country or region they are being shipped to.

shampton2

shampton2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thank you, pip, for responding to my question. Turned out that the network adapter had died overnight. My husband had a new G wireless access point that he was no longer using (decided to hardwire it instead), so he gave it to me and it works just fine now. Thanks again.