Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer has recently decided its never going to shut down ever aga

• Please log in to reply

Charliee03

Charliee03

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Computer does nothing, after I hit start shut down/ restart ..doesnt respond to anything. its like the computer is high or sumthing. just does absolutely nothing and has no reaction to what I have just clicked.. Only way to get the computer off is to hold down the power button (I know not the best thing) What do i do?

Edited by Charliee03, 21 February 2008 - 10:36 PM.

Advertisements

xtthew!

xtthew!

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Download Ccleaner from http://www.filehippo..._ccleaner/3708/

and install..

When you do, open it and look on the left for a button that says registry.

Click it, and on the bottom right click analyze.. wait for it analyze your registry for problems.

When it finishes, fix all of your problems, and see if that helps you.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Charliee03, before you run a registry cleaner, try this:

Open a command prompt (Click Start then Run, type cmd and press Enter or click OK).
Type shutdown -s and press Enter

Does anything happen? Do you get any error messages?

Also, look in Event Viewer and see if any errors are being logged (they will be in RED)

Click Start then Run, type eventvwr.msc and press Enter or click OK

Look in all three categories listed on the left. Double click on any error to look at the details. Use the arrows to move up and down in the events listed.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
boot into safe mode and try shutting it down...if it works OK then its probably related to a device driver

a shut down trouble shooter located here...

another is here...

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Download Ccleaner from http://www.filehippo..._ccleaner/3708/

and install..

When you do, open it and look on the left for a button that says registry.

Click it, and on the bottom right click analyze.. wait for it analyze your registry for problems.

When it finishes, fix all of your problems, and see if that helps you.

I have the program already, ran the registry scanner fixed all problems, and hasn't fixed a thing, also scanned my PC with Tune Up Utilities 2008 Registry hasn't fix a thing, and PC Tools Registry Mechanic.. All three failed to solve this problem.

Charliee03, before you run a registry cleaner, try this:

Open a command prompt (Click Start then Run, type cmd and press Enter or click OK).
Type shutdown -s and press Enter

Does anything happen? Do you get any error messages?

Also, look in Event Viewer and see if any errors are being logged (they will be in RED)

Click Start then Run, type eventvwr.msc and press Enter or click OK

Look in all three categories listed on the left. Double click on any error to look at the details. Use the arrows to move up and down in the events listed.

I tried the command shutdown -s, and a small box says Your system will shutdown in (with a countdown) .. it counted all the way down and didn't shut down.

I went into Event Viewer, under system it shows about 100+ errors from janaury to this month .. How do I fix these?

Edited by Charliee03, 22 February 2008 - 07:43 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You would have to post a sampling of them here, but before doing that, follow the links happyrck posted, see if they help.

If not then you can copy details from some/all of the Event Viewer errors and paste them into notepad, then use the Browse and Upload buttons below the text input area to upload the file here for us to look at. If you need more detailed instructions to do this please ask and I'll be happy to provide them.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
To quote Microsoft

This error occurs if drivers do not handle power state transition requests properly, usually during one of the following procedures: • Shutting down
• Suspending or resuming from Standby mode
• Suspending or resuming from hibernation

Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To resolve the error and prevent the error from recurring, update or remove the offending driver. This error can occur because of a device driver, but it can also occur because of a file system filter driver (for example, a driver that is installed by an antivirus, remote control, or backup program).

To isolate the driver that is causing the error, follow these steps: 1. Check to make sure that your computer and all installed devices are on the Hardware Compatibility List (HCL). You can view the HCL at the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft...cl/default.mspx (http://www.microsoft...cl/default.mspx)
2. Check for drivers that are not designed for use with Windows. You can use the Sigverif.exe tool to do this. For information about how to use the Sigverif tool, refer to the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
308514 (http://support.micro...b/308514/EN-US/) HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP
3. Check for driver updates that may be available for your hardware.
4. Update any software that uses filter drivers (for example, antivirus, remote control, and backup software).
5. Remove any non-critical devices and software to help isolate the device or software that is causing the error.
6. Install Windows in a new folder. Add drivers one by one, and restart the computer after each addition, to try to locate the driver that is causing the error.

Back to the top

Please go here to read the entire article.