Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External HD

• Please log in to reply

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Ok I have a computer that is probally 4 years old... maybe a little less. It works great for what I need. I have however purchased an external HD.
Now the drive works perfactlly on my laptop, however when I pluged it into my desktop (via usb) it would give the sound that it sees the drive and then the sound that you unplugged something.
SO I figured it was the usb drives, maybe they were not usb 2. Cause if I would leave it plugged in it would make those sounds about every 30secs to a min.
Ok so I went and bought a new usb 2.0 card. Installed it fine, got the drivers and everything else works WONDERFULL on the new card. But alas when I try the external HD ... it STILL does the same time. I am out of ideas... anyone else have any?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
What is the OS of the laptop and of the desktop computer?
Is the HD seen in computer management in the desktop?

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Both have xp sp2
and no its not seen on the desktop but it is on the laptop

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts