Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Use Wireless router as wireless adapter

• Please log in to reply

Alex Hil

Alex Hil

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have an old laptop which does not have wireless cards etc and want to use iton my wireless network. I have a Dlink wireless router which I dont use anymore, and was wondering if there isa way to connect to the dlink via cable, and have the router connect to the other wireless network in the house.

Any help is appreciated.

Alex

Edited by Alex Hil, 22 February 2008 - 01:12 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go, Alex

You can have a modem and a router connected together in a network (obviously, since this is a common arrangement for many cable users) but you can't have two routers connected together, if that answers your question.

If the laptop in question doesn't have a PCMCIA card-slot (also called a 'cardbus'), you can buy a USB wireless adaptor for it -- looks like a USB flash stick but contains an 802.11a/b/g compatible wireless chip. Most common manufacturer of these is Belkin.

Edited by pip22, 22 February 2008 - 08:57 AM.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Alex, what model is your Dlink router?

Alex Hil

Alex Hil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The router is a DI-524UP. I was hoping that there was unofficial firmware for it which would allow it to operate the same as a PCMIA card or similar.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Alex, unfortunately, it does not look like the custom firmware I use (dd-wrt) is compatible with that router. However, if you can pickup a cheap router that is supported, the firmware can do what you are wanting. Basically, it's just setting up a wireless bridge. I've done this with my xbox360, because I didn't want to pay $100 for a wireless adapter card so I just picked up a $30 buffalo router off ebay.

Alex Hil

Alex Hil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Cheers mate.

I'll just walk to the modem when i need to use the net on it. It was more being used as a designated music player, but the CD drive wasnt working so I was using the network to put songs on it and remote desktop to control the music from another room. I guess I cant be lazy unless I wanna buy a PCMIA card...

Thanks

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I've never had experience with it but you might want to look into setting your router to Wireless Access Mode.