Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

seraphima

seraphima

• Pip
  • 6 posts
In order to network my external USB hard drive to my wireless/lan Linksys Router, so all my workgroup computers can use it ---
I need to have a USB to RJ45 10/100 adapter that works with VISTA and XP. {Please advise)

Yes it would have been better if I had bought the Linksys Router model that had a USB port!

Thanks....
:)

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to the forum, seraphina.

I don't understand your need for an ethernet RJ45 to USB adaptor. I assume the router has ethernet RJ45 ports for connectivity, correct? Any PC which doesn't have an RJ45 port on it to connect to a RJ45 router can be easily remedied just by installing a network card in that PC. And since it's a wireless router, most of the PCs in your network won't need a physical connection to the router anyway. So your 'problem' baffles me somewhat??

USB was never designed for networking, ethernet was. It's also simpler to set up since no third-party device drivers are needed from the router manufacturer.

Edited by pip22, 22 February 2008 - 08:46 AM.

seraphima

seraphima

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I want to attach my USB external portable hard drive to the router and this Linksys router does not have a usb port.
I need to do this because data from 3 networked PCs are backed up on the portable hard drive and some of our PCs are upstairs and some are downstairs. Presently have to unplug it and rehook it to the laptop or desktop or whatever each time I need it. Getting an adapter plug would be allot cheaper than buying a portable external for each of our PCs. Some are XP Pro and some are Vista Home Premium.

Thanks.