Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem Opening Excel/Word Files

• Please log in to reply

sundalongqueso

sundalongqueso

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi! I need help...

Just recently, I noticed that whenever I try to open Excel/Word files by double-clicking the files in Windows Explorer (since that is the usual way), the program/application starts (Excel/Word) but the file itself is not loaded. The application is loaded with nothing (not even a paper/worksheet). The same thing happens when the Excel/Word file is right-clicked and Open is selected.

What is weird though is that if the application itself is opened and already running, and the document is opened from the Office Button, it works perfectly fine. Also, when the said applications are already opened, opening Excel/Word files by double-clicking already works. Thus, for the first time a file is double-clicked, the application is opened without the document loaded. For the second double-click, the application opens with the document loaded.

When the files for the said programs are opened using "Open With >", and then choosing the appropriate program, again, for the first time, the application is loaded without the file. For the second time, all goes well. When the files are opened by using "Open With >", then selecting "Choose Program...", then selecting the appropriate program from the list, for the first time, the application is loaded without the file. In addition, an error window pops-up saying, "Windows cannot find <path and filename of the Word/Excel file>. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search." For the second time, it's already okay.

What could be the problem here? I know my problem has a workaround (e.g., double click the file twice so that it gets opened for the second time, use "Open With >" two times, or open the application then open the file from the Office Button menu). But, is there any way to bring it back to the "normal" way (e.g. simply double-clicking the file once and it gets opened/loaded together with its appropriate application)?

By the way, I'm using Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise Edition. I already tried uninstalling completely, and then re-installing but the problem still persisted. What could be the problem? PowerPoint files work perfectly fine. This problem only affects Word/Excel files.

Many thanks!

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello,

See if the following instructions help:
  • Open an explorer window (right-click the start menu and choose Explore
  • Go to Tools | Folder Options | File Types
  • Scroll down and highlight "DOC"
  • If there is a Restore button, click it
  • Click Apply
  • Do the same for "XLS"

Regards,

Ax

sundalongqueso

sundalongqueso

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Nope, no "Restore" button. Only "Change" and "Advanced." Problem still exists...

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Try this:
  • Using the same instructions as before, click the Advanced tab for DOC
  • Make sure Open is set to default
  • Highlight Open and click Edit
  • Make sure the following settings are used:
    • "Application used to perform the action":
      "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12\WINWORD.EXE" /n /dde
    • "Use DDE" (Checked/Ticked)
    • "DDE Message":
      [REM _DDE_Direct][FileOpen("%1")]
    • "Application": WinWord
    • "Topic": System
  • Click OK twice
  • Repeat steps 1-3 for XLS
  • Make sure the following settings are used:
    • "Application used to perform the action":
      "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12\EXCEL.EXE" /e
    • "Use DDE" (Checked/Ticked)
    • "DDE Message":
      [open("%1")]
    • "Application": Excel
    • "Topic": System
  • Click OK twice
  • Click Close

Mike Cronin

Mike Cronin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey Sun,

I had the exact same problem that you are encountering. The following link helped resolve the issue on Office 2003 (I was pulling my hair out), and it also describes a resolution for Office 2007...

http://support.micro...amp;Product=xlw

Hope this helps you out. Good luck!

Mike

Edited by Mike Cronin, 14 March 2008 - 01:40 AM.

sundalongqueso

sundalongqueso

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sir Ax, I tried what you suggested. The problem seems to have worsened. Now there are many pop-up windows (each one saying a current directory does not exist). And the file still won't open. How could I return it back so that the double-double-click workaround would work again without those many pop-up windows?

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
sundalongqueso,

Since you've tried a variety of solutions - none of which have worked, I would recommend COMPLETELY uninstalling and RE-INSTALLING your Microsoft Office software from the original media. It sounds as if file associations have become corrupted in your registry - causing Office files not to launch correctly.

Question - did you install, update or change ANYTHING prior to having this problem? Generally, if something stops working the way it did before - it's because SOMETHING changed. I know this sounds obvious - but usually, the answers to these problems can be found when asking yourself this question.

Again - try completely uninstalling and re-installing your MS Office software from the original media. After this, test to see if you can launch office files. If you can, I would run Microsoft/Windows Update and download & install any/all current updates for MS office. Test your installation again by attempting to launch Office files.

Hope this helps.

- John Hook

sundalongqueso

sundalongqueso

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have completely uninstalled and re-installed... Those pop-ups don't show up anymore but the problem still persists. The quadruple-click workaround still works, though. I've also searched the net for solutions to this problem. I found out that some Mozilla Firefox users encounter this problem when opening saved .htm or .html files. The solution for Firefox is to delete something called the "ddeexec" registry key. I was just thinking, could this problem be solved by deleting a "ddeexec" registry key for Microsoft Office Word and Excel?