Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Webpage Timeouts.

• Please log in to reply

_iii_

_iii_

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey all.

After several weeks of blissful problem-free connection (thanks again, Doobeius), my connection seems to be playing up again. At least, I'm assuming it's an issue with my connection. For the record, still connected to AOL and still using a NetGear DG834Gv3 router.

Completely at random this morning, Firefox and Internet Explorer, on all three computers connected to the network, began to timeout while loading certain seemingly random webpages, such as YouTube and - interestingly - some ProBoards forums, but not others (say, I can open forums on .proboards104 or .proboards21, but cannot connect to any forum on .proboards74). Pinging any of the problematic websites in a DOS window result in similar timeouts, while pinging websites like Google return perfectly. The problematic websites will sometimes load in the AOL 9.0 browser, but will sometimes timeout there as well and consequently cause the browser to crash.

I did try changing my MTU settings, which seemed to work last time I had issues accessing certain websites, but that's reaped no result thus far (and I've currently left it at 1400).

As last time, any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Advertisements

njsb14

njsb14

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am also with AOL in the UK, running the Netgear D834G router, I have also started (over the past few days), to experience issues at a mixture of sites timing out when trying to browse (these sites have previously been accessable). Also set MTU to 1400 but no fix, also tried setting DNS servers to the DNS servers at www.opendns.com but no fix. AOL say no problem with them, and are trying to point blame at the websites (even when I explain that I take the same laptop onto another ISP's connection and all works, hence issue is at AOL).

So no solution to your problems, but least we know it impacts on more than one of us, so would say it is an issue at AOL.

_iii_

_iii_

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
That's good news (in a weird sort of way). It's always a major relief to know you're not the only one experiencing a particular problem, especially one like this, so thanks for letting me know I'm not suffering alone. :)

njsb14

njsb14

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just been surfing and have come across the digital spy forums, where there are quite a few AOL customers having issues with AOL, most seem to relate the issues to AOL UK moving over from AOL infrastructure to the Carphone Warehouse (AOL UK) infrastructure probably the same infrastructure as the notorious TalkTalk internet.

I am trying to track down an e-mail address for Jackie O Leary, Vice President, Member Services, AOL UK. So I can complain that I am meeting my side of the contract by paying my monthly fee, I expect them to meet their side of the contract by providing a useable internet access service, if they can't I want out of the contract to move to a company that can.

I have found the following address; Jackie O'Leary, Vice President, Member Services, AOL UK, c/o AOL Member Services, PO BOX 2401, BRISTOL, BS1 9WX

_iii_

_iii_

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Very useful info', thanks for taking the time to share. May have to spend a day drafting a letter in very colourful language. :)