Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont shut down

• Please log in to reply

leanna01

leanna01

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have tried to shut my computer down from the start menu shut down button through sleep button programmed to shut down when pressed and thru task man but no luck. If I hold the button on the tower it will power off but the software side seems to be havng issues. I have checked the power options and nothing seems to be wrong there. HELP!

Advertisements

fellowplanetdweller

fellowplanetdweller

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Check through your task manager running processes to see if you can notice anything strange running; this isn't the easiest thing to do.

Another thing to try. Go to START --> RUN --> type msconfig then click OK Click STARTUP TAB on main screen, then select "Disable All" button on lower right hand corner, then try to reboot. This is to see if any of the startup programs are causing problems.

You could also try a registry repair. For this you will need a registry repair software. I like to use Norton Systemworks 2003/2004. It has a utility called WinDoctor, but others exist that you can get trial versions of at Download.com like Registry Mechanic. I don't have any working experience with the Registry Mechanic program though.

Additionally, you can check your PC for the most common virii, trojans, and worms by going to Stinger Download and downloading.

Hopefully one of the aforementioned will correct your problem or the last resort is to backup what you want to keep and reload Windows.

Good luck,

fellowplanetdweller