I'm having a very strange issue with a Dell Optiplex 280 (small form) that was purchased from Ebay.
When started up it comes to a screen that says "No boot device available,, F1 to try reboot,, F2 for setup"
If there is an XP CD in the drive, it will come to a screen that says "Press any key to boot from the CD.."
If I press a key it will boot to the CD-rom, if I don't press a key, it will boot to the HD.
If I remove the CD it will not boot the HD, but comes to the "No boot device available"
I have tried the following,,,
1. Checking the Bios, the drive is listed as SATA 0, the correct size and model are listed.
2. Checking to ensure the HD is listed first in the boot order
3. Checking the jumpers on the drive (but being SATA there are none, plugging it into SATA 0 sets it as the boot drv)
4. Repairing the current Windows installation.
5. Formatting (full format, not a quick format) of the HD and reinstalling Windows XP Pro.
6. Deleting the partition, formatting and reinstalling Windows.
Still it will not boot to the HD unless there is an XP CD in the drive.
Anybody know what the problem may be?
Thought I'd add, I have 2 of the same model (purchased 4) and both are doing the same thing
Thanks in advance for any help!!
Edited by Lost_Utopian, 22 February 2008 - 11:11 AM.