Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems booting to the HD

• Please log in to reply

Lost_Utopian

Lost_Utopian

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Howdy Folks

I'm having a very strange issue with a Dell Optiplex 280 (small form) that was purchased from Ebay.
When started up it comes to a screen that says "No boot device available,, F1 to try reboot,, F2 for setup"

If there is an XP CD in the drive, it will come to a screen that says "Press any key to boot from the CD.."
If I press a key it will boot to the CD-rom, if I don't press a key, it will boot to the HD.
If I remove the CD it will not boot the HD, but comes to the "No boot device available"

I have tried the following,,,
1. Checking the Bios, the drive is listed as SATA 0, the correct size and model are listed.
2. Checking to ensure the HD is listed first in the boot order
3. Checking the jumpers on the drive (but being SATA there are none, plugging it into SATA 0 sets it as the boot drv)
4. Repairing the current Windows installation.
5. Formatting (full format, not a quick format) of the HD and reinstalling Windows XP Pro.
6. Deleting the partition, formatting and reinstalling Windows.

Still it will not boot to the HD unless there is an XP CD in the drive.
Anybody know what the problem may be?

Thought I'd add, I have 2 of the same model (purchased 4) and both are doing the same thing

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Jim

Edited by Lost_Utopian, 22 February 2008 - 11:11 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
As it's a SATA HD you need to to install third-party SATA drivers from a floppy-disk during Windows install (by pressing F6 when prompted) , since XP doesn't support SATA natively so without the drivers it won't 'see' the disk.. Did you do that?

Edited by pip22, 22 February 2008 - 12:23 PM.

Lost_Utopian

Lost_Utopian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I did not try that but certainly will give a shot.
The goal was to setup one unit and use ghost to do the other 3.
One of the 3 that had the image dumped to, is working fine as is the one that was fully setup and imaged with ghost.
What I would find odd then is that the other two units (same model & OS) are working fine without the drivers.
But, it's worth a shot, off to find 3rd party SATA drivers.

Thanks for the reply!

Jim