Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and microsoft windo

• Please log in to reply

hondavee4

hondavee4

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi, ive just got my pc up and running again after serious hardware failure,

i bought a new copy of oem xp, (lost my old upgrade copy)

most things seem fine except i cant install my printer, epson cx3200

as soon as i open the disc or try and download/run the driver from epson i get this error

"the system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows applications"

Posted Image

ive been in touch with epson and they basically washed their hands of by insisting its a m/s problem

they said

"EPSON e-mail Ref No-161-877360-February 19, 2008

Please do not alter this header as we will be unable to trace the history of your enquiry.

Dear Lee

Thank you for contacting EPSON e-mail support.

In regards to your query if you are experiencing one or more of the following error messages when attempting to install your device, please visit the website listed below for further assistance.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem path to the program that you are trying to start or install C:\Winnt\System32\config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystempath to the program that you are trying to start or installconfig.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystempath to the program that you are trying to start or installC:\Windows\System32\Autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;324767

Please note: if you are experiencing problems in running through the procedure listed on this website, EPSON cannot offer further support as this is a Microsoft issue.

Regards"

ive tried to get my head around the m/s fix but it really makes little sense to me

can anyone suggest an easy fix :)

many thanks

lee

Edited by hondavee4, 22 February 2008 - 11:58 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Follow Repair Method 2 in the Microsoft article. It gets the job done.

hondavee4

hondavee4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Follow Repair Method 2 in the Microsoft article. It gets the job done.

hi neil, have tried that but my repair folder doesnt contain that "Autoexec.nt" file so i cant copy anything :)

although, i did find it on my xp disc and copied that over into system 32 but no joy, still the same

Edited by hondavee4, 22 February 2008 - 05:07 PM.

hondavee4

hondavee4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
anybody, still stuck here :)