Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my mouse freezes up oftenly (dell,xp..)

• Please log in to reply

abc17abc

abc17abc

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hi, i have a problem.... my mouse freezes often, just the mouse; not the computer. (could range from every 15 mins to every 10 seconds which gets really annoying)

i have to unplug it (usb type) and plug it back in, sometimes i have to try different ports BUT it will freeze on every port. it is the original dell mouse, i've tried other mouses and same problem.

i have used dell pc restore to reset my computer and it didnt fix the problem... (its a tool with newer dells that is basicly like reformatting a computer)

extra info, i have a dell e310 running on xp, ive upgraded my ram also..... (it doesnt matter if the computer is cold or hot itll do it any time)

please help me, thanks

(p.s. sometimes, not all the time, when i plug it back in it will say it cannot recognize the device)

Edited by abc17abc, 22 February 2008 - 04:16 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi, welcome to G2G.

Have you considered using a PS2 mouse instead of the USB, or try a different USB mouse? Could just be defective.

abc17abc

abc17abc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yea, ive tried another usb mouse and same problem, and do you think a ps2 mouse with an adapter will make a diff?

abc17abc

abc17abc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
sorry to double post but i've been googling and i saw that updating the BIOS worked for some people (i've noticed this is a problem with some dells), does anyone have an idea how i can do that? and does it erase the data on my hdd?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No, I don't think that will make any difference. I see it doesn't have standard PS2 mouse and keyboard ports so my suggestion is useless, sorry/

What other USB devices do you have connected? Have you tried removing all of them (printer, camera, flash card reader, flash drive, ext USB drive, etc.)?

abc17abc

abc17abc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yea my computer has no ps/2 ports, all usb. and i only have my keyboard and mouse pluged in, so its not a power overload.

i found my BIOS update. all i need to know is if this erases info on my hard drive?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No, a BIOS update does not touch the hard drive in any way. It writes the new firmware (BIOS programming) to an EPROM or EEPROM in the computer. This is the stuff that actually controls the hardware and it's also what XP talks to when it want to do anything.

Make darned sure you have the right BIOS update for your computer. Installing the wrong one will render the computer unusable.

Once you start the BIOS update, do not mess with the computer in any way and pray the power doesn't go out :)

If this sounds ominous, it's intentional. 99.99% of the time it will work without a hitch but when it doesn't ....

abc17abc

abc17abc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
nevermind, it did not fix the mouse problem... i've basicly reformated my computer and updated my bios without fixing the mouse. is there any other software that could possibly fix it before i have to get my motherboard looked at?

Edited by abc17abc, 22 February 2008 - 08:46 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
have you tried to switch between the USB ports? Move the mouse to where the key board is and vice versa.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Since you reinstalled XP with a format, it has to be a hardware problem unfortunately.

Before replacing the mother board, I would try a new PSU. Cheaper and easier to replace.

abc17abc

abc17abc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
bad power supply? i can charge my ipod fine on it, if if it is a bad power supply do you think a wireless mouse that takes its own batteries would be a cheaper solution?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I don't know but it seems unlikely that it will fix the problem since the antenna still has to plug into a USB port. Can you borrow one to try?

One last shot.

Power off, open the case, remove everything inside the computer (all PCI/PCIE cards) except 1 stick of Ram, video card (if not onboard) and mouse (no keyboard). Disconnect CD/DVD drives (power and IDE cable).

Unplug the 4 pin P4 power plug and reinstall, ditto for the larger main board power plug.
ALso remove the remaining stick of Ram then put it back in again (carefully).

Leave the case open and power up, let XP boot.

Mouse around :) for awhile and see if it freezes.
If not, plug in the keyboard and see what happens.
Still no, shutdown, power off, plug in each PCI card one at a time and try it.
Still no, reconnect CD, repeat, etc.

What I'm trying to see here is whether the additional devices are loading down the PSU, validating my idea that the PSU is the problem.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you tried the simplest of all simple things that I suggested in post no. 9?

abc17abc

abc17abc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yea ive tried # 9.... my next step is trying to see if it is the psu as mentioned before