Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

strange microphone hum...?

• Please log in to reply

dom one

dom one

• Pip
  • 6 posts
for some reason my headset microphone is humming.. but when it tocuh the case of the computer the humming noise stops is there a grounding problem and where is it i searched all over and found nothing?

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
yep, that sounds like a ground problem. is the mic plugged all the way in? was the headset thrown or smashed recently? (accidentally, of course :tazz: )
those headsets usually work all the way or not at all.
hmmm...you dont have the comp on a ground lifter for its power, I assume...

dom one

dom one

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i know the headset is fine it is something with my computer... are computers grounded? cause im totaly lost with trying to figure it out and no one knows what is could be.

Edited by dom one, 23 April 2005 - 09:10 AM.

dom one

dom one

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i dont think anyone will ever figure this out..... ive asked so many people.. everyone is either brushing it off or doesnt know.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Computers are grounded by the standard three prong plug that you plug into your electrical outlet. That ground is only as good as the "ground" of that particular outlet. If it was wired according to modern elecrrical code it should be good. HOWEVER, many older homes do not meet current electrical standards. My own home was built in the 1940's. Some of the wiring has been updated, but some has not. You could try another outlet, or try running a separate ground wire from the chassis of your computer to a good earth ground, like a cold water pipe (metal, not plastic!). If you have a volt meter, you may want to check for voltage on the chassis to a good ground.

Did this just start happening or have you always had this problem. If it just started, I would suspect the headset is the cause, not the computer ground. :tazz:

dom one

dom one

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
the house is old and i think it may be the outlets hm.. thanx.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
First thing is, did the problem just start with the headset? as in, did it used to work on that PC? if so, then its likely the ground connection for the headset mic is broken.

answer that, and we can narrow this down.