Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

memory upgrade

• Please log in to reply

tcool1

tcool1

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
hey,

i have a toshiba p105-6084 laptop and i'm trying to upgrade the memory from 2gb to 4gb(which it says it can max at)...i bought 2 2gb chips and when i install them the machinewon't boot...i tried alternating them and only putting in 3 gigs...but nothing seemsto work.....does the bios need to be adjusted or updated and if so how???? or am i missing a setting somewhere..

thanks
tim

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G Tim

Can you clarify a couple of things please...

It's correct that your laptop can take a maximum of 4GB (2 x 2GB modules). The laptop is sold with 2GB of memory (as a single 2GB module). This takes up one of the 2 memory slots, leaving one empty one.
So why did you buy 2 more 2GB modules when you only needed one 2GB module?
And how could you install 3GB of ram which you only have 2GB modules?

tcool1

tcool1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi there,

because it came with 2 -1 gig chips........so i was trying different combo's

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ahhh, then I apologise! My quick bit of research on that laptop had led me to believe that it was a single 2GB module...

Ok, can you tell me either the exact specs of the new ram or the model number? (This may be written on the label on the modules). Or if you bought it online, can you provide the link to it?

I'm sure you've already tried this but what happens if you remove the original module & only install one of the new sticks?

You said the laptop won't boot but do you get anything on screen at all? Do you hear any beeps?

tcool1

tcool1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Samm,

i got one 2gigger at staples and one online.....the edge one looks like ser # o4963003-54...and the k-byte one is 122100ACO12611607WL...those #'s came right off the chips...and when i try only one it doesnt boot......and i get nothing on the screen and no beep codes :)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, can you give me the link to the one you bought online?

tcool1

tcool1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
it was from the computer memory outlet

https://www.computermemoryoutlet.com

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
That link just takes me to the main page for memory, not the specific module. I noticed they do have a memory advisor there to help you select the correct one but your particular laptop is not listed.

Can you try the link again so that it takes me to the actual module you purchased? Failing that, can you remember what the module was? E.G. DDR2-533 or PC2-4200 for example

tcool1

tcool1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
was pc2-5300 (667mhz) 200pin DDR2 SODIMM

tcool1

tcool1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
sorry Samm..this is the link to the actual chip

http://www.oempcworl...2.0G-PC2-SO5300

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Is that the spec for both modules or is the other one slightly different?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The memory wouldn't happen to be high-density would it? That is, are all of the memory chips on one side of the module? If so, this is your problem and you will need to buy low-density memory with chips on both sides.

tcool1

tcool1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
the k-byte chip on the package says... 2gb PC 5300 DDR2NB...5300/4200/3200/ pc2- 667/533/400 200 pin notebook...it said it was compatible with the other one....i had originally only bought one online thinking the same as you...that there was already one 2gig chip in there...then when i opened it and saw there was 2 i bough the other from staples.....

tcool1

tcool1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
all the chips have chips on both sides

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
RE. stettybets comment about high density. It's certainly possible that this is the problem which is why I enquired about the second module as well. Although from the link you gave me, it would appear that that particular module is dual-banked...

Given that the you have bought the correct type of memory (i.e DDR2 667), then a likely explanation is that your system is not compatible with high density (a lot of systems aren't, especially branded ones like Toshiba).

Your best bet is probably to return the 2 modules & get a refund. When it comes to buying some different memory, I advise you go to somewhere like Crucial or Kingston and purchase it directly from them. The reasons I recommend you do that are:

1) It's rarely worth buying generic memory (such as the one in the link you gave me). Generic modules are often inferior, hardly any cheaper and come with limited warranty. Decent stuff (such as Crucial/Corsiar/Kingston/OCZ etc) come with a lifetime guarantee

2) Both Crucial & Kingston have an online memory advisor. This means that if you use the memory advisor tp select your ram & buy it from them, they will guarantee that its 100% compatible.

If for any reason, you end up having to buy the memory elsewhere (for example, if one of the stores won't give you a cash refund on your current memory & only issue a credit note), then be very careful what you buy. Your system should be compatible with either DDR2-667 or DDR2-533. For 2GB modules you need a chip configuration of 256Meg x 64 and make sure it is low density (not all resellers tell you this though).

Also bear in mind that your laptop supports dual channel memory. To take advantage of this, you must ensure that both modules are absolutely identical, not just in speeds but also in timings etc so if you want to buy 2 x 2GB, then a 4GB kit would be the best way to ensure they match exactly.

Edited by Samm, 22 February 2008 - 08:10 PM.