Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

graphic for vista

• Please log in to reply

Canorro

Canorro

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
does there exist a normal pci graphic card that is vista compatible?

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Yep. This guy should work ($77): http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814145087

Windows Vista recommended system requirements for Home Premium / Business / Ultimate:

* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
* 1 GB of system memory
* 40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
* Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:
o WDDM Driver
o 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
o Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
o 32 bits per pixel

* DVD-ROM drive
* Audio Output
* Internet access (fees may apply)

But if you are only using Vista Home Basic it is only:

Support for DirectX 9 graphics and 32 MB of graphics memory

http://www.microsoft...quirements.mspx

Edited by jackflash1991, 22 February 2008 - 10:38 PM.

Canorro

Canorro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Yep. This guy should work ($77): http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814145087

Windows Vista recommended system requirements for Home Premium / Business / Ultimate:

* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
* 1 GB of system memory
* 40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
* Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:
o WDDM Driver
o 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
o Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
o 32 bits per pixel

* DVD-ROM drive
* Audio Output
* Internet access (fees may apply)

But if you are only using Vista Home Basic it is only:

Support for DirectX 9 graphics and 32 MB of graphics memory

http://www.microsoft...quirements.mspx

Ok i never though a normal pci graphic card would support Vista.This one is home premium?
Also I have the mininum spec but its an integrated graphic and intel havent updated drivers its says its not compatible with vista.My bios also support the option to tweak it up to 256mb graphic are Intels 82845Gv and it is direct 9.0 compatible.If im not wrong it can be the driver(or) with the Intel Extreme Graphic Controller.
See driver are only for xp
http://downloadcente...i...65&lang=eng
Anyway thx alot

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Conformation that it works with Vista Home Premium. From the review section on Newegg:

Card works great in my Dell Dimension 3000 Running Vista Home Premium. Bought it to improve video quality on WOW and it did exactly that, I am very pleased with this.

and

This is probably your best choice for a graphics card if you're stuck with only PCI slots on your motherboard (older systems). Runs Windows Vista Aero (glass) smoothly. 256MB, good for photo-editing and design software. Not exactly the best card for games, but could handle old games.

http://www.newegg.co...e...False&Page=

Edited by jackflash1991, 23 February 2008 - 09:23 AM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The Geforce 6200 is a much better card than the Geforce FX5200. It's a few dollars cheaper too, so I'd recommend getting it. Both of them are out of stock on Newegg, but seeing as how you are in Puerto Rico, you'd need to buy from somewhere else anyways. The only better PCI cards are the ATI X1550 and X1650, but they are hard to find (especially in the X1650's case) and are more expensive. ($100+)

Ok i never though a normal pci graphic card would support Vista.

The interface has nothing to do with it. As long as it meets the requirements for Vista Premium, it is Vista capable.

Also, your integrated graphics should support Vista, but if you get a version other than Basic, you will have to turn Aero off. But if you want to play games on Vista, you would have no chance with it.

Canorro

Canorro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

The Geforce 6200 is a much better card than the Geforce FX5200. It's a few dollars cheaper too, so I'd recommend getting it. Both of them are out of stock on Newegg, but seeing as how you are in Puerto Rico, you'd need to buy from somewhere else anyways. The only better PCI cards are the ATI X1550 and X1650, but they are hard to find (especially in the X1650's case) and are more expensive. ($100+)

Ok i never though a normal pci graphic card would support Vista.

The interface has nothing to do with it. As long as it meets the requirements for Vista Premium, it is Vista capable.

Also, your integrated graphics should support Vista, but if you get a version other than Basic, you will have to turn Aero off. But if you want to play games on Vista, you would have no chance with it.

Ok I will buy it on ebay or amason..Why is ati x1650 so hard to find>? Also Both ati say they require agp or pci-e are you sure they are supported?
Because somethimes went i scan my pc its says its agp compatible but it i seen the insides and it doesnt have one Unles pci are the same as agp
And my integrated say it isnt support on windows vista upgrade advisor but do you think if i upgrade to vista basic, vista will search for a good driver?(just asking but i will definitly buy one of those pci garphic because i dont like basic i like premium)
:)

Edited by Canorro, 23 February 2008 - 03:32 PM.