Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

boot up to black screen and cursor

• Please log in to reply

skydive102

skydive102

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I was reading the forum from Quin 8484 from May June 2007 time frame. I could not get anything to work on the drive that was installed. But. I had an old computer sitting around that had XP on it. So I installed it and tried it out. It had problems also. But,I followed along with the forum and when I did the chkdsk and got some problems fixed. but it still booted the same. I then did the bootcfg /rebuild and I got the option to select which system I wanted to use. It took a while to load but it loaded to windows. After start up the keyboard works but the mouse doesn't work atm. since it is a USB Wireless checking batteries and such also for them. Also don't see it loaded. So might not have loaded drivers. I also have a hardware installation window in the middle of the scree that will not go away. everything is running very slow and as I was typing this it was shut down and rebooted. And now I get Disk read error occurred, Press CTL+ALT+DEL. I did it again and it started and I got an Application Error. Failed to initialize properly (0xc0000006). click to terminate.

Quins post

What started all this was I decided to check for window updates and load and install them. once it was done I could not get back in with safe mode or with xp disk.

I am running Windows XP Pro on the machine
asrock 775 dual vista mother board
Pentium D 930, 3GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 2x2 MB L2 Cache
I have 2 gig of ddr 400 chips 1Gig each

ATM I have the old drive from the other computer installed since I am getting a little somewhere with it.

Thanks for any advice with this.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi skydive102, welcome to G2G.

When you moved the drive from the old computer to this one, did you then do a Repair Install? That should resolve any problems caused by the differences in hardware between the computer the drive was in and this one.

skydive102

skydive102

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did forget to mention. I had the second drive in the machine when it was being built a few months ago. So it had the drivers for the machine installed on it.

But I had to run chkdsk on it a few times to get started and to get me able to get windows to boot up. But it shut down on its own once since then and rebooted to select CTR+ALT+DEL to reboot. Because of a disk read error. But It is an intermittent problem. It works sometimes and doesn't others.
I think I have two drives that are on there last legs. Main thing is to get one to work to get the main one up to get the data off of it. And to see if I can prolong the life any.

So I am going to set up the other drive up as a slave to save the data to a USB Drive.

If I can get the data off it I can try to format it and reinstall. Might buy me a couple more months till I have to get a new HD.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Messing with failing hard drives is a waste of time in my opinion. Get the data off and dump them. New drives are quite cheap now days.

You can download the diagnostic utility from the hard drive manufacturers web site and run it against the drive, see what it tells you.

skydive102

skydive102

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I went out and got a new drive this weekend. It is in and working great. I am in the process of transferring the data from the first drive ATM. I will down load the utility from the manufactures sit after all the transfers and see what it says. Might just keep for a back up or something. As long as it doesn't say its to bad.
Thanks for the help

Paul