Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant type anything in IE

• Please log in to reply

whjt201

whjt201

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Currently using IE7. it just hangs whenever i tried to type sth in the google search box or any other places. But it's ok if i typed it in the address bar. I tried using nod32 and norton to scan but no virus found. i also used ad aware but no critical errors found. firefox works fine. i also tried uninstalling and reinstall but the problem still exist. when in safe mode ie7 works perfectly. didnt install any new programmes recently.
Whenever ie hangs, a msg saying 'drwatson postmortem debugger not responding' appears. looking forward to your reply. thx in advance.

I have posted in the Malware forum before, and the tech support there asked me to post here, saying that my logs are clean. pls help me to solve the problem. really appreciate all the help.

Advertisements

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Try running in No Add Ons mode. Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

If it works fine, then manage your add ons, in IE7 (running normally) click tools on the menu and select Internet Options, next click the Programs tab, then Manage add-ons. Try disabling one by one to see which one is causing the problem.

whjt201

whjt201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
thanks for the prompt reply.
IE still hangs even i run it with no add ons

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to remove IE7 in Control panel > add/remove programs. This will roll you back to IE6. See if it works well. Latter on, if you wish to use IE7 (something I wouldn't do), download it from Microsoft or get it with automatic windows updates.

whjt201

whjt201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i tried removing it and use IE 6 instead, but the same problem occurs even i am using IE6

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I saw something similar to this before... but it was caused by another program. Since it works in IE7, it would seem to make sense.
Do you see any error messages come up when you start the computer?

whjt201

whjt201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
No everything's fine when i start my computer up. I can run IE7 smoothly in safe mode, but not in normal mode. currently i am using firefox to browse.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to repair IE6:

Click Start > Search > all files and folders. At the bottom, at "more advanced options". tick all the options. In "all or part of file name" type ie.inf. Run a search. Right click ie in c:\windows\inf and in the menu choose install. This will repair IE. Let us know what happens.

whjt201

whjt201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
when i tried to install it asked for my windows xp service pack 2 CD, which i do not have. I never have this CD when I bought this laptop

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you can borrow one, try the process again.

whjt201

whjt201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i may not be able to get 1 for the next few weeks, would u mind if i reply again after a few weeks time? sorry for all the trouble caused. and thanks alot for the help

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
By all means. At least you have firefox working, so there is nothing urgent.