You are (as usual) my last hope.
A few weeks ago I needed to find a picture for someone so went off to my directory 'Rob's Canon Pics' only to find that it (with about 1000 images) had disappeared. I searched all over the place for it but couldn't find it. Latterly I have found that all my iPOD library got deleted too, although I have been able to restore that (except the DVDs but I can live without that).
The image deletion is curious though and as far as I can see these are the only possibilities:
1) My wife or kids accidentally deleted it (really highly unlikely)
2) There is some malicious virus on the PC (again I don't think so)
3) I had my camera hooked up to the PC. I checked all the files that were on the memory card were on the PC (note the ones I have lost were saved months before and were not on the memory card) and pressed delete all. Again I cannot see how an external drive could delete something from the C drive.
4) One day when clearing my desktop I put everything in the recycle bin thinking they were all short cuts. I think I lost some information and realised my error so then restored the contents and they all came back. Although the folder 'Rob's Canon Pics' was still missing. I have to say that I am not actually sure it was even on the desktop in the first place.
5) XP has a problem on my PC
I bought a card reader and have managed through PC Inspector to retrieve 708 images off the card which is fantastic. Flushed with success I then used it for the C drive (writing to a Western Digital hardrive I bought as a consequence!!!) but after a week only 3% was done meaning it would take about 9 months to run in total and assuming it was linear would find about 150,000 *.jpg files!!!!!!!!!!!!
So to be honest I have given up, and will just have to visualise in my mind's eye our lovely holiday on safari and in Mauritius for my wife's 40th birthday - a bit sad but too bad...................unless as you have done in the past, you can help me find them?
Not that I know much (whatever gave you that impression) but it would be a whole lot simpler if I could search for the folder rather than individual images, because as you know the .jpgs aren't just from cameras - they're everywhere.
Hope you can help as you usually do.
Edited by Louise's Dad, 23 February 2008 - 05:10 AM.