Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer is resetting

• Please log in to reply

cpt1

cpt1

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi everybody. I'm not sure what's wrong with my computers but I'm having the worst luck. I have a laptop and my home computer that are both out of order. My spare is my work computer and I hope I don't tear it up. The 1st computer is running memory testing and then boots to a message that says windows did not start correctly. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

I see:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration
Start windows automatically

After 12 seconds it reboots back to the same screen. Can someone please advise?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Are both computers showing the same problem? Did you install any hardware or software on both? As a first step, try to boot into "Last Known Good Configuration".

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Are both computers showing the same problem? Did you install any hardware or software on both? As a first step, try to boot into "Last Known Good Configuration".

I tried booting "Last Known Good Configuration" it gives me this message: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup suing the original setup CD-ROM; select 'r' the first screen to repair." I don't have the original CD's. Yes,I did install a free microsoft applications software prior to all of this.

The other computer resets back to the windows screen.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could you borrow an xp cd? There isn't much that you can do without one. If you can, try to run the two procedures written below from Recovery Console.

Procedure 1: In Recovery Console type at the prompt chkdsk /r and press Enter. Let the procedure run to the end and type exit to start windows. If no good, go to option 2.

Procedure 2: Plesae note,before you start:

1: The procedure is not suitable for OEM installations. In other words, If you bought your computers with pre-installed XP and did not get a retail XP disk, then do not run this procedure.

2: The computers must had the Restore option enabled. If it was disabled, you will not be able to recover the computer.

Repair Registry Hives (adapted from Microsoft article 307545)

To repaiir "windows\system32\config\etc", and Lsass.exe.

Part 1:

At the recovery console type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.

Part 2:

1: Boot in safe mode.
2: In Folder Options uncheck "hide protected operating system file".
3: Double click C: drive.
4: Open "System Volume Information" folder in c: drive.
5: Open the folder restore-{………….}. The RPx folders inside are old restore points.
5: Right click the RP folder and click Properties. This will show when the restore point was created.
6: Inside there is a folder named snapshot. Open it, copy the following files and paste them into C:\windows\tmp folder.

_REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM

7: Rename the files in the C:\Windows\Tmp folder as follows:
•Rename _REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT to DEFAULT
•Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY to SECURITY
•Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE to SOFTWARE
•Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM to SYSTEM
•Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM to SAM

Part 3:

1.Start Recovery Console. At the command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:

del c:\windows\system32\config\sam
del c:\windows\system32\config\security
del c:\windows\system32\config\software
del c:\windows\system32\config\default
del c:\windows\system32\config\system

copy c:\windows\tmp\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\tmp\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\tmp\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\tmp\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\tmp\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer restarts.

Part 4:

1: Click Start, and then click All Programs.
2.Click Accessories, and then click System Tools.
3.Click System Restore, and then click Restore to a previous RestorePoint.

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Could you borrow an xp cd? There isn't much that you can do without one. If you can, try to run the two procedures written below from Recovery Console.

Procedure 1: In Recovery Console type at the prompt chkdsk /r and press Enter. Let the procedure run to the end and type exit to start windows. If no good, go to option 2.

Procedure 2: Plesae note,before you start:

1: The procedure is not suitable for OEM installations. In other words, If you bought your computers with pre-installed XP and did not get a retail XP disk, then do not run this procedure.

2: The computers must had the Restore option enabled. If it was disabled, you will not be able to recover the computer.

Repair Registry Hives (adapted from Microsoft article 307545)

To repaiir "windows\system32\config\etc", and Lsass.exe.

Part 1:

At the recovery console type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.

Part 2:

1: Boot in safe mode.
2: In Folder Options uncheck "hide protected operating system file".
3: Double click C: drive.
4: Open "System Volume Information" folder in c: drive.
5: Open the folder restore-{………….}. The RPx folders inside are old restore points.
5: Right click the RP folder and click Properties. This will show when the restore point was created.
6: Inside there is a folder named snapshot. Open it, copy the following files and paste them into C:\windows\tmp folder.

_REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM

7: Rename the files in the C:\Windows\Tmp folder as follows:
•Rename _REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT to DEFAULT
•Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY to SECURITY
•Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE to SOFTWARE
•Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM to SYSTEM
•Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM to SAM

Part 3:

1.Start Recovery Console. At the command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:

del c:\windows\system32\config\sam
del c:\windows\system32\config\security
del c:\windows\system32\config\software
del c:\windows\system32\config\default
del c:\windows\system32\config\system

copy c:\windows\tmp\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\tmp\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\tmp\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\tmp\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\tmp\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer restarts.

Part 4:

1: Click Start, and then click All Programs.
2.Click Accessories, and then click System Tools.
3.Click System Restore, and then click Restore to a previous RestorePoint.

I'll try to find one but if I can't--is there a way to download to a USB drive--then boot to it?

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have a copy of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition upgrade. Will this CD work, if so, what will I do first?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Start with chkdsk /r in the recovery console.

To get to Recovery Console insert the disk into the cd drive and reboot the computer. Setup Windows screen will show up. If it doesn't, enter BIOS and set the cd drive to be first priority boot device.

Let Setup run until three options are shown. Choose Recovery Console by pressing R. Type 1 When asked for XP installation (assuming you have only one operating system installed). When asked for password type your password or press Enter if you don't have a passwoed. A black DOS-like screen will show up.

At the prompt type .chkdsk /r and ress Enter. Let the process run to the end.

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Start with chkdsk /r in the recovery console.

To get to Recovery Console insert the disk into the cd drive and reboot the computer. Setup Windows screen will show up. If it doesn't, enter BIOS and set the cd drive to be first priority boot device.

Let Setup run until three options are shown. Choose Recovery Console by pressing R. Type 1 When asked for XP installation (assuming you have only one operating system installed). When asked for password type your password or press Enter if you don't have a passwoed. A black DOS-like screen will show up.

At the prompt type .chkdsk /r and ress Enter. Let the process run to the end.

I got this message: \i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 23768. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Quote from Microsoft article 318729:

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if either one of the following conditions is true:
•There are incorrect settings in the computer's basic input/output system (BIOS) configuration.
-or-
•One or more of the random access memory (RAM) modules that is installed on the computer is faulty.

You mentioned that the same error appeared on two computers. That makes a memory problem quite unlikely. So, first, try to reset the BIOS to default values and try chkdsk /r again. If that doesn't work, download Microsoft memory diagnostic tool from the link in my signature, follow the instructions and create a bootable cd. Boot one of the computers and run a memory test for about 30 minutes. Please report if there are any errors.

Please note, there is no need to copy previous posts. That makes the correspondence somewhat more cumbersome. Thanks.

Edited by The Skeptic, 24 February 2008 - 10:17 AM.

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I'm running chkdsk on (computer 2) now. When it completes, I'll reset the memory to default on (computer 1)--as you've mentioned above.

Completed chkdsk on computer 2. Typed exit to restart and it continues to do the same thing. It boots to Compaq, then the windows screen, and it bypasses a blue screen of text (it goes so fast I can't tell what it says) then back to Compaq, etc. I tried Procedure 2, part 1 but it only copied the first file. I'm not sure what to do next.

Completed chkdsk on computer 1--it did not work. I tried Procedure 2, part 1 and now the computer boots to the windows screen but has a message: lsass.exe system error "When trying to update a password the return status indicates at the..." I can't go back into recovery console because it ask me for a password and I didn't have one.

Edited by cpt1, 24 February 2008 - 11:18 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The lsass problem can be fixed with the long procedure that I wrote in a previous post. You may try it.

In this forum we are not rushing, usually, to recommend clear format. In your case, however, I would definitely go for that.

cpt1

cpt1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
To fix the lsass on computer 1, I tried getting into the recovery console again, but then it asked for the Administator password. I always pressed enter (There isn't one). I can't even repair the files, any help on this? Thanks,