Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major problem.. computer won't boot, can't repair system eithe

• Please log in to reply

rain183xx

rain183xx

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi guys. I've been having some pretty major issues with my computer as of late. What's happening right now is that I cannot get into safe mode nor can I repair my system with the Windows CD. Lately I've been trying to repair my Windows, and following the message "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration" I get to this BSOD where it says this.. "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. The problem seems to be caused by the following file: partmgr.sys GE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (don't know the exact letters prior to GE because a portion of the left side got chopped off)" Then it goes on a little bit about checking if hardware or software is properly installed.. And that I should disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software... and SP2 is the only thing that applies but how do I get rid of it if I can't even get into safe mode? Partmgr.sys - address F7AB94AB base at F7AB000, DateStamp 00000000

This whole problem occurred about a week ago when my computer just randomly stopped booting up normally. It would get past the first initial screens and prior to seeing the Windows XP logo, it would just be stuck at black. So finally after awhile I was able to repair the system, and then everything was fine again. Next thing you know I'm trying to install IE7 and SP2, and after a reboot from doing so I'm back at square 1, a blank black screen. Naturally I tried to repair the system again, but I'm now stuck where I alluded to earlier.

Also, I cannot get into safe mode whatsoever.. I can get into the BIOS though. It seems like I can't even format or repair my system guys, what can I do?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download from my signature Microsoft Memory diagnostic tool. Follow the instructions, create a bootable Cd and boot the computer. Let the test run for 10-20 minutes and report if there are any errors.

rain183xx

rain183xx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello I DL'd it and burned it onto a CD. I'm not sure if it's a bootable CD though, how do I know if it is? Anyways, my broken computer is currently stuck on a black screen that says "Boot from CD:"

rain183xx

rain183xx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Okay it gave me this message: "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter."

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try running chkdsk /f
instructions are here..

Edited by happyrck, 23 February 2008 - 06:52 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How did you create the CD? You don't burn the iso image to a CD, you use your burner software to create a bootable CD from the iso image.

rain183xx

rain183xx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey guys here's an update.

I was finally able to get through on the WinXP to install/repair. However, it was not able to access my C: drive. So it then gave me the options to install or to delete the partition. I went for the install, and I was directed back to the BSOD. I'll now try running the chkdsk..

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That's progress, and good news. Please let us know how the chkdsk goes.

rain183xx

rain183xx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey guys. I ran the program Memtest 86+, in fact it's still running right now. Anyways, here were the results after 3 hours.

Memtest 86 v2.01
L1 Cache: 128K 12393 MB/S
L2 Cache: 512K 4073 MB/S
Memory: 1024M 1347 MB/s
Chipset: AMD K8 (ECC: Disabled)
Settings : RAM : 166 MHz (DDR333) / CAS : 2.5-3-3-7

It passed 6 times already with no errors at all.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
press the esc key to stop memtest..did you run chkdsk yet

rain183xx

rain183xx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I want to run the chkdsk, but I can't get to that point where it asks me to repair Windows.. the furthest I get is when it says Windows is starting up.. and then it gives me the BSOD I mentioned above. I've been running the HD diagnostics provided by the company's website and the HD is just really really messed up.. I've been repairing everything but it appears I still have a long way to go

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you ever get it boot up...first thing..backup anything you can't live without...the HD sounds like its on its last legs...
if you can't get it to boot to windows and if you have data that you don't have backups of I can give you instructions for puppy linux...it loads and runs totally in ram and you can use it to get your data off the drive...

rain183xx

rain183xx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've decided to run this program dban which pretty much totally clears my whole HD.. it's still running now hopefully it helps get rid of all of my problems.. there wasn't really anything THAT important on my HD anyways.

rain183xx

rain183xx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
dban after 4 hours was still giving me an estimation of about 33 hours and was only 8% complete. i couldn't wait that long so i stopped it, and then i tried to run the chkdsk again... however, chkdsk couldn't find the C drive so i had to stop that. i now wanted to just format the hard drive but i'm currently stuck at "verifying DMI pool data" on the startup...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the hard drive is dead...