Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thinking of upgrading to Vista.

• Please log in to reply

Dark One 123

Dark One 123

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I bought a brand new PC (coming in a few days) without an OS on it, I am thinking of installing Vista but I am not sure which version I should install Ultimate or Home Premium, what are the differences, also I am thinking of installing 64bit instead of the 32bit because it seems a lot of software nowadays support it.
Should I get Windows Vista Ultimate or Home Premium,
32bit or 64bit of it?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Windows Vista - Editions Comparisons at-a-glance: http://www.microsoft...ons/choose.mspx

Good independent run-down of system requirements: http://www.windows-v...dows_Vista.html

Can't advise on buying 64-bit as i've no experience of it. Would be wrong for me to comment further on that aspect.

Edited by pip22, 23 February 2008 - 04:22 PM.

Dark One 123

Dark One 123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I think I will go with Home Premium, I am thinking I will go with 64bit seems I am getting all new hardware they should support it.

WindowsVistaSucks

WindowsVistaSucks

• Pip
  • 2 posts
No.

tyscmi2010

tyscmi2010

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I use Vista Ultimate daily, and most of the "Ultimate" features are not so WOW. I actually recommend just putting Linux or Xp Pro on the machine.

Just my thoughts.

Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Windows Vista, Has been an uphill and downhill battle with me. There have been times that I've gottten more than one bluescreen in one day with Windows Vista. There have been times where it runs fine and everything is fine. It really depends on your hardware more than anything. I am 32 bit, I haven't tried 64 bit Vista. I heard its pretty stable and it's really fast with 4 or more gigabytes of Random Access Memory. I use Home Premium, Media Center Edition is very nice and works perfectly with Windows Media Player (well duh). I recommend turning off User Account Control, It cant get rather annoying. It will ask permission for almost everything.