Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! HELP! I got a virus and some BAD advice...

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The DBAN FAQ has this info in it:

Download the dban-1.0.7_i386.exe file to your desktop and double-click it. This program will install DBAN to a floppy disk or USB flash device; it will not wipe the computer on which it is run.

You cannot install DBAN by copying or unpacking the EXE file to a blank floppy disk or other media.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
If you download the driver for your NIC and save it to USB, or disc you will have an easier time getting your drivers after the reinstall.

moneygirl88

moneygirl88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, I'm still not sure I have this right...

Please note that the labtop I am tryign to do this on, does not have internet access. I did a reinstall, lost everything including the driver set ups and I can't seem to get those to set up properly either... So I am working at a desktop computer to do this.

Now, I have save DBAN software from the website straight to my USB... so that was wrong or right? Should I have saved it onto the desktop I was working on, then run it, at which point I shoudl then save it onto a CD or external drive? I think I am getting conflicting information as it seems Ztrucker is saying one thing but hfcg is saying another.

Also, once I have it, should I log into my computer as normal and then try and run it or should I try a boot directly from whereever I saved it to run it? Has anyone by chance done this before? Sorry, I'm computer illiterate.

moneygirl88

moneygirl88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Me again...

Ok... I think I got it now. I followed the directions from the FAQ section and downloaded it to a CD using CDBurnerXP. I made sure to change to boot order to get it to run first so it seems to all be running okay. Looks like it's going to take about 2 hours. I'm assuming, I will just run the XP Reinstallation SP2 CD as soon as this is complete and go from there (yes?). I will update my progess later this afternoon.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
:) You the man er woman! Sounds like you are on your way. Please let us know how it goes.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi everyone.

This thread caught my attention. Could anyone link me to a serious article that confirms that rootkits can survive a clean format? Sounds strange to me.

Regards

The Skeptic

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How about this one? http://www.experts-e...Q_23108427.html

I'm guessing this also involved some kind of boot sector virus as well, otherwise format would have wiped it.

Edited by Ztruker, 25 February 2008 - 05:27 PM.

moneygirl88

moneygirl88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay, I've got it all done. the DBAN ran and then I ran the XP SP2 software. Everything seems to go through fine and dandy. Yah!! Thanks for that!! :)

I'm having other troubles though (booooo!). I'm now trying to upload my drivers but I am still having the problem with the network driver (Broadcom Intergrated Controller to be exact; I think I made mentnion of my network driver problem in my original post). That is, I am trying to download it from the CD and it seems to start to run and where it gets to a place that says "removing Backing up files" it just kind of... well, stops... no errors, no nothing. You wouldn't even think anything was wrong except for the fact that it never says "finished successfully" nor does it ask me if I want to restart my computer. I know it's not working too becasue when I do restart it, I don't see them listed in my device manager. :) :) :) :)

I went through this issue a little bit with the Dell Technicians, but they had no idea (course, they wouldn't admit that). They tried to have me download the driver from their webiste, which I did and it still didn't work... they then said they'd send me a new CD, but I don't think that's going to work either. I"m at a LOSS! I apparently needs these to go on the internet and so I don't know what I'd do if I can't get this to work. It doesn't seem to be a virus or anything, as I have wiped this computer totally clean of that so I don't know what to do/think next. Can anyone help? :)

Edited by moneygirl88, 25 February 2008 - 05:52 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Is this the driver Dell had you download and try?

http://support.dell....p;fileid=139326

There is also a Broadcom Diagnostics Utility on the Dell driver page for the Inspiron 600M. Maybe give that a try.

http://support.dell..../...=-1&impid=1

I've never used it so I don't know what it's capabilities are but it's worth trying.

Also, look in Event Viewer and see if any errors are being logged that have to do with the network install.
Click Start then Run, type eventvwr.msc and press Enter or click OK

Look in all three categories listed on the left. Double click on any error to look at the details. Use the arrows to move up and down in the events listed.

Do you have SP2 applied?

moneygirl88

moneygirl88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
No, that's not the driver. It's the Broadcom 40/100 intergated contoller but i already tried downloading it from the internet, onto my USB Driver and then onto the labtop but it still does not work (but again, there are no errors). I will try and run the Event Viewer to see if anything pops up... could this possibly be a hardware issue? I have a hardware warrantly with Dell, so if I need something new I can get it for free.

thanks!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I definitely think you should be talking with Dell, even if they are a pain sometimes. This has to be a hardware or driver problem, Push them to fix it or repair it. Don't let them off the hook.

Do you have a current backup of your data? If not, I suggest you do it now as I guarantee they will ask you to do a full system restore (with format) that will wipe everyting.

moneygirl88

moneygirl88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yeah, I've been neck-deep in studies so I'm just getting a chance to look into this again now. I did try that evenmgr thing and strangely it reported that the driver uploaded successfully, yet , still, it never told me that nor prompted to restart my computer.... hmmm..... Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too... Calling Dell (bite the bullet!) although they NEVER seem to know what the [bleep] they're talking about. LOL.. I personally think it's a hardware issue too but Dell was hinting at software (so I would then have to pay for support as I have a Hardware warranty till 2009).. I WILL NOT LET THEM PUSH ME AROUND! LOL... Will work on that this week... thanks!

moneygirl88

moneygirl88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yay! Got in touch with them (Dell) and they're sending out a tech to replace my motherboard and palm rest. I've already done a re-installation so I'm unconcerned about losing data. the Motherboard is the guts of the computer right? So I'm thinking this will definitely eliminate all my issues :)... (Fingers crossed!)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Way to go :) I'm sure that will fix it. Please post back how things are after the Dell tech leaves.

moneygirl88

moneygirl88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
YAH! Well, it official, my computer is back on board! The tech came out and installed the Palm Rest and Motherboard and I am now able to get online and have no issue with my cursor flying everyhwere around! LOL... I'm now working on setting up the rest of my applications and software programs, but I feel safe to say the worst is over! woo hoo!

One last quick question, I'm looking to get some new anti-virus software on my PC and I had had Mcaffee before, but I don't think (obviously) they were/are the best choice. Is there any one that you recommend? And/OR what you my anti-software tools I should make I have On PC to ensure I'm safe® in the future?

thanks!