Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Drive confused

• Please log in to reply

ginrella

ginrella

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
For some reason, my computer is having a difficult time downloading from camera to pc. I have done it many times. When I plug in the USB and then turn on the camera, it is telling me to safely remove my usb storage device. It usually goes right to ask me how I want to view my pictures. I have uninstalled my finepix hardware and reinstalled it and that did not help. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ginny

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi ginrella. welcome to Geeks2Go

The easiest way to get pics from your camera into the PC is to use a USB card-reader. Plug that into a spare USB port, remove the card from your camera and place it into the card-reader. The card-reader is always plugged in, ready to use, and no messing about with camera cables. Card-readers are cheap. most of them have several slots for different card types, so just make sure you buy one that accepts your type of card. Most everyone does it that way now since it's so much quicker and easier.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
another way to get the pics off the camera is to use picasa...its free and a great lite program and it will import the pics quickly and easily...no need to even remove the card from the camera...get it here...video on how to import from your camera here..

Edited by happyrck, 23 February 2008 - 06:32 PM.

ginrella

ginrella

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I understand there are different ways, such as a card reader;however, I am trying to figure out why my computer is suddenly not recognizing that I have plugged the camera in. It is immediately showing me an icon on the bottom right of screen saying to safely remove my hardware.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
You are going to want to see what is going on in the device manager of windows.
Right click on MY COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES. Then select HARDWARE tab and then DEVICE MANAGER.

Now look (while the unit is not plugged in) if there are any device conflicts (yellow exclamation points). If there are, click on it and then REMOVE it using the REMOVE button. If it prompts you to restart the computer select NO unless there are no other devices to remove. If there are not, then go ahead and restart. If it doesn't prompt you then no problem. Click OK and then OK your way out of there and restart.

Once you have restarted go back in to the DEVICE MANAGER and then while you are in there, PLUG IN YOUR DEVICE. Now you should see the usb device appear and if you are getting three dings then that is telling you that it did not recognize the device.
as for this..

I am trying to figure out why my computer is suddenly not recognizing that I have plugged the camera in.

could be a windows update got ugly...or any new software you recently installed or a update to one of them or bit rot or cosmic rays or drivers or you just need to squint at the screen differently...