Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Strange lockups

• Please log in to reply

Stoon

Stoon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey everyone,

I got this weird problem here

I'll start from the beginning. I started off with vista ultimate 64 bit and when playing world of warcraft I got these strange lockups. My screen started to flickker between a black screen and ingame screen resulting in a Blue error screen and restarting my pc. I thought it could be driver related so I tried it with vista ultimate 32 bit but the problem didn't solve. Many drivers I tried but with no result. So I downgraded to windows xp sp2. At first it went well but now I'm having similar problems except that my screen just freezes and I can't do anything but to reset the computer.

Is there anyone whom could help me finding this problem or had similar problems ?

Thanks in advance,

Stoon

My system : Asus P5WDH deluxe 2048 Ram
Asus 8800 GTX card
Soundblaster X-FI fatality

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
welcome to G2G Stoon...
Windows XP is set by default to reboot your computer when it hits a critical error. For most users I suppose this is a good thing, as no one likes to see the BSOD (blue screen of death). But in this case, we actually WANT to see the BSOD because it contains some useful information in diagnosing the problem. In order to force your computer to show you the BSOD, need to tell it to stop auto restarting on critical errors.

Right-click...My Computer... and then click ...Properties...
Click the ..Advanced tab...
Under Startup and Recovery.. click ..Settings... to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box....
Clear the ..Automatically restart.. check box, and click OK the necessary number of times...

Restart your computer for the settings to take effect....

post back the errors you get when it crashes

Edited by happyrck, 23 February 2008 - 06:15 PM.

Stoon

Stoon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok first update here

I switched back to my vista 32 ultimate because that's he system I want to be good

Up untill now I haven't been able to get a BSOD, what did happen is that sometimes I get some stuttering but my system seemed to be able to get through also the music got into a loop

This lasted only for a few seconds.

The moment I have more info bout the BSOD I'll post it

Stoon

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
ok ...let us know how it goes... :)
you will still want to do this...

Click Start....Click Control panel... System icon... In the System Window look on the Left hand side of the window and you will see a list of options. Click on the Advanced System Settings option

Because Computer management requires administrative privileges you may find the the User Account Control will pop up. If it does then enter the required information (if you are not the administrator) or, if you are the administrator, click the Continue button

In the Advanced Settings window look for the Startup and Recovery section and then Click the Settings button

In the Startup and recovery window look for the section marked System failure and remove the 'tick' mark from the 'Automatically Restart' option. Now press OK button

Finally click the OK button on the System properties Window and then close the system window.

Edited by happyrck, 24 February 2008 - 07:50 AM.

Stoon

Stoon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
the first BSOD has shown itself and here's what it says

attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed

*** STOP : 0x00000116 ( 0x854682E8, 0x8B429E40, 0x00000000, 0x 0000000D )
*** nvlddmkm.sys - address 8B429E40 base at 8B424000, datestamp 475f4157