Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Receiving errors when trying to install free anti-virus programs

• Please log in to reply

annlw

annlw

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Help! I am not computer savy, and would like to install a free virus protection program on my computer. I have tried installing free versions of Avira, AVG, and others and keep getting error messages on all of them, so the installation stops and shuts down. Some examples of error messages are (Avira-run time error) & (AVG detects product files that were planned to be renamed and requests restarting computer, but problem never gets fixed after restarting)I even tried paying for 2 other versions, and was also unsuccessful because of error messages. I have windows me on my computer, and currently do not have any virus protection. This is my last resort before buying another computer. I appreciate any advice from anyone who might be able to help. Thank You! :)

Ann

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi annlw & welcome to Geeks2Go

Almost certainly it's your version of Windows that's the problem -- indeed Windows ME was a problem in many respects from the day it was released, but aside from that, as the months pass it will be impossible to get a new version of anything for Windows ME or Win98 because the software developers are either planning to cease supporting them in the near future or have already done so.

AVG - The current version of AVG Free is supposed to be Windows ME compatible, but future versions of AVG from September this year will not be compatible with it.

Avira Antivir -- their website makes no mention of Windows ME so I think it's reasonable to assume it's not compatible with it.

Comodo Antivirus (free) - definitely not compatible with Me. Only runs on XP/Vista or Windows 2000.

So even if you did manage to get AVG installed (the only one that claims to be compatible), the time will shortly come when you won't be able to keep it updated because eventually you'll need the newest version, and if that's in September or later, the newest version at that time won't be compatible.

in fact, apart from AVG, I don't know of any current AV application which claims to be ME compatible, and believe me I've had dealings will quite a few (both free and 'paid for') over the past two years.

Another related point. Windows ME doesn't have a built-in firewall application. A firewall is essential to protect your PC (and the data on it) from hackers and malicious software. It's as essential as antivirus. The same problems regarding compatibilty will also be encountered.

Edited by pip22, 24 February 2008 - 03:45 AM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
What are the specs for your machine? And what kind of things are you using it for? There are alternatives to ME that might be suitable, and even alternatives to Windows that don't really need antivirus protection because no program has the ability to install without your permission.