Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can I use two firewalls?

• Please log in to reply

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I was wondering if I used Trend Micro Firewall along with Windows firewall-would there be much of a difference in safety then me just using Trend Micro's Firewall?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Definitely not a good idea.

From the MS FAQ on firewalls at http://www.microsoft...rewall/faq.mspx

Q. Should I use both the built-in firewall and a software firewall from a different company on my Windows XP computer?

A. No. Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for typical home computers, home networking, and small-business networking scenarios. Using two firewalls on the same connection could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior.

One firewall, whether it is the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall or a different software firewall, can provide substantial protection for your computer.

Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Using two firewalls is a really bad idea. I also think using two anti-virus or anti-spyware programs is also a really bad idea. The reason I say this is because, having two or more firewalls can sometimes cause problems with each other. Some times they interfere with the other firewall and cause programs not to work at all. If you are looking for a good firewall I suggest Comodo, or Zonealarm. They work wonderful and make help keep you protected from malware.