Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD trying to install XP Professional

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I'm trying to install Windows XP Professional on my fathers computer. the HDD is a 200gb Seagate Barracude, and is seperated into two partitions. 99% of it, and then the 1% left over. The 1% contained Windows 98SE.

I'm trying to install XP Pro onto the 99% partition. When the computer boots up, I have a choice of starting 'Microsoft Windows' or 'Windows XP Installation' or whatever. Once I select the Windows XP installation, it goes through a blue screen thing where it's like "press f6 to install' blah blah.

At the end of this it says "Setup is starting Windows" I think, but then I get the BDOD.

Here's the STOP message.

*** STOP : 0x0000007B (0xF7CB663C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I need to get his computer up and running as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go
Here is an article from Microsoft That may help you.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Here's hoping you can make sense of Microsoft's infamous 'rocket science' lingo (sometimes I think thay must be living on another planet):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

Also, make sure BIOS setup is configured to "autodetect" the hard disk before running XP setup.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Unfortunately i've already read through that article, and it hasn't helped at all :)

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Does your Bios have anti-virus built in?
You will need to go in to the BIOS and turn it off if it does.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I'm fairly sure it doesn't.

The motherboard is an Asus K8V SE Deluxe, and it's BIOS is sucky.

Here's some of the specs:

K8V SE Deluxe motherboard
nVidia GeForce FX 5200
200gb SATA Seagate Barracuda hdd
AMD Athlon 64 2800+ 1.8GHz
1gb DDR memory

There's stuff on this mobo I don't know anything about, like having to set up this 'Array' stuff. And also, when it's starting up, it says this

"No drive attached to FastTrak controller, the BIOS is not installed".

I like my own computer so much more *sighs*

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Go to the hard drive manufactures web site and download the (XP) driver.
Burn the driver to CD.
When the set up screen ask you to press F6 for SCSI drivers, press F6.
Install the hard drive driver from the CD.
The XP set up is seeing the SATA hard drive as a SCSI drive, or just does not have the driver.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I can't manage to find the drivers. And the seagate site says that their harddrives should be compatible with Windows.

The hdd is a Seagate Barracude 7200.8 200gb SATA..

Beanbandit27

Beanbandit27

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I just had a similar problem with my recent computer build, although my stop code was slightly different when it came to the second code.

STOP: 0x0000007b (0xf78d2524, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

My problem was that my ram voltage was under specs. The default was 1.95, and I needed 2.1. Once this issue was corrected, windows began to set up right away. Ram voltage may not be your problem, but be sure that all of your hardware is setup correctly in bios and make sure that all of your hardware is compatable with your motherboard. hfcg had a good point about the hard drive. If you have another hard drive around, try to swap out hard drives and see if the hard drive is simply going out (if not a brand new hd) or if it's defective (if brand new). Hard drives have done some pretty far out things to me when they went bad.