Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card odd behavior after installing cooler

• Please log in to reply

dashoota

dashoota

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi guys. I have an XFX Geforce 7900GS video card. I replaced the stock cooler with a zalman vf900-cu fan so I could bring the temps down and overclock it. My problem is that when I use the computer for general purposes (web surfing etc.) and then I play Call of Duty 4 I get very bad frames per second (around 10-20fps). Gameplay is unplayable. Only when I restart the computer and immediatly play the game afterwards do I get normal fps (50-70fps). I notice the same thing in my other games too. Also, when I get the bad fps I score only around 2000 in 3dmark06. Only when I restart my computer do I get my normal score (around 5000).

I have no idea why it behaves like this. I have the latest nvidia drivers for the card 169.21 and I constantly defrag my hd. No spyware issues either. This never happened before the cooler installation. The card only maxes at 50 celsius during load so it can't be a heating issue. I don't want to have to keep restarting my PC just to get my card working properly. Please help.

Specs:
-Windows XP SP2
-Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 2.0ghz
-XFX Geforce 7900GS
-Gigabyte 965P-DS3
- 1GBx2 G.Skill RAM DDR2 800
- FSP Group 500w psu

Advertisements

zoneykid

zoneykid

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Is there thermal compund/grease between the cooler and the card?

dashoota

dashoota

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, thanks for responding. The problem is really frustrating me and its nice to know someone is trying to help :)

Is there thermal compund/grease between the cooler and the card?

It's interesting you ask that. When I removed the stock cooler I saw that it was attached to the chipset by a pink-colored adhesive. The material was dry and hard. It looked a lot like dried pink bubble gum on the chipset (it really wasn't gum lol). I couldn't clean the chipset with rubbing alcohol so I used some WD40 and I was able to clean off the surface of the chipset. The previous material was still stuck around the outside of the chipset on the PCB. I tried to scrape it off with a metal scraper but I was afraid I would damage the board w/ scratches. Also I thought the chemicals from the WD40 would mess it up. So I left the material there.

So some of the previous material is around the outside of the chipset but I applied arctic silver 5 on the surface of the chipset and attached the new cooler onto it. Could that be the problem?

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
just making a thought here, but isn't WD40 corrosive? Why didn't you just use some paper towels?

dashoota

dashoota

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

just making a thought here, but isn't WD40 corrosive? Why didn't you just use some paper towels?

I don't think it is corrosive. People have used it all the time to clean chipsets.
This wikipedia article says that its anti-corrosive
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40