Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Incomplete Cleanup after malware removal?

• Please log in to reply

caricaturd

caricaturd

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi,
I recently received help on this website for removing a bunch of nasty malware programs. After the cleanup, however, I noticed that my computer continued to lag when I performed -- in my nooby estimation -- memory-exhausting activities, like streaming videos or opening multiple firefox tabs. It doesn't seem that my internet connection is to blame either, as everything seems to load fast enough; its just that my system will take a long while to process it. Some of the symptoms its suffering from are choppy frame rates, keystroke lag while I type, and a general sense that my system is constantly trying to catchup. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Stef

Advertisements

Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Have you tried booting into safe mode and tried to remove the malware in safe mode. Sometimes malware gets removed but than will reinstall itself. I may also recommending going over to the malware section in Geeks to go forums and getting help there. But try removing the malware in safe mode.

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Hi caricaturd,

If the malware people here were already helping you with this then I would suggest posting back in that section of the site just in case something was missed.

Trying to remove some malware in safemode without knowing what it is can seriously damage your computer.

Once they give you a clean bill of health if you still have the problems then post back here again :)

edit, just checked and you were billed clean almost a month ago. You could have picked up something else, otherwise it could just be your system, what are you running processor/ram-wise?

Edited by MichWasHere, 24 February 2008 - 12:11 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Stef, can you post a link to your malware thread? I'd like to read through it to see if anything in there might help explain this.

Additionally, have you cleaned out all the temporary storage areas of your hard drive. like:
  • C:\Windows\temp
  • C:\Documents and Settings\youruserid\Local Settings\Temp
  • C:\Documents and Settings\youruserid\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
Also, it's possible your hard drives are running in PIO mode instead of DMA mode. PIO does everything through the processor and can have a severe impact on audio and video streams. See these posts by wannabe1 to see if this is the case:

http://www.geekstogo...10#entry1169610

caricaturd

caricaturd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi,
Here is a link to my previous thread:
http://www.geekstogo...60#entry1109860

@Mich and Pat: thanks for the safemode suggestion, but I don't think that's the problem, as I haven't had any of the same symptoms that I had before cleanup. Just major slowdown

@Ztruker: Thanks for the link, but I followed the steps and I am already in the appropriate audio/video mode. I've also just cleared my temp files and defragged recently, so I'm still stumped as to what could be causing the slowdown. Could there be any other folders of clutter I'm overlooking? Possibly something related directly to the memory? Thanks

Stef

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to START..RUN...type in MSCONFIG...then click on OK or press ENTER..
click on START UP TAB...uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..
if its a laptop..google each start up item to decide if you need it to load with windows...unchecking them does not remove them ..they are still available to use...

the next thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....

click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..uncheck ...allow indexing on this drive....if you do not have the box on your system...

then START...RUN...type in SERVICES.MSC...then OK...scroll down until you find INDEXING SERVICE...click on it and in the general tab set it to DISABLED...then exit

To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, index.dat etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you...Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Click on CCleaner to start it....
Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

next get diskeeper lite here...

after installing it...click on the icon...close the "nag" screen...click on your c drive to select it ...then down towards the bottom ...click on defragment now...first time you use it it may take 15 to 30 minutes to complete...do it about every two weeks and it will complete in about 7 minutes...
reboot and tell me hows its running...

you do not have to defrag in safe mode with diskeeper lite and its 10 times as fast than the defragger that comes with windows

Edited by happyrck, 24 February 2008 - 06:39 PM.

caricaturd

caricaturd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hey happy,
Good call on the indexing feature - lagging has gone down noticeably. I did notice, however, while I watched files get "unindexed," that somewhere in my C drive, there's still a large folder of quarantined temp files. Is there a way to get rid of these files permanently and safely? When I initially ran through the malware cleanup process, I was left with several hundreds of pos* files in my temp folder. These are the ones currently in quarantine, in a folder labeled qoobox. Are these the culprits?

stef

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
you may remove the qoobox folder - that should have been deleted on the final clean routine. Which re-reading the post now I did not clear that section :)

caricaturd

caricaturd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hey Essex,
Thanks for following up with me. So how exactly should I delete the qoobox folder? Just to expedite the process, here's my most recent HJT log:

EDIT Hijackthis log removed

Edited by Essexboy, 07 March 2008 - 04:32 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The quickest and easiest way is to download OTMoveIt2 by OldTimer

Double click OTMoveit and you should see a CleanUp! button, press that button, you may get prompted by your firewall that OTMoveit wants to contact the internet, allow this, a cleanup.txt will be downloaded, a message dialog will ask you if you want to proceed with the cleanup process, click Yes. This will delete all the tools you have downloaded plus itself

You still look clean :)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you do the other things I asked you to do in post number 6

caricaturd

caricaturd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Happy: Yup, I followed all your instructions except for the manual msconfig. I wasn't sure I wanted to risk disabling something important on my laptop. The other suggestions did help, though. thanks!

Essex: I followed through with the cleanup process and my system is finally running videos again (horay!)
I still notice greater-than-average lag, though. Is there something else I can do about the slowdown? Also, I was a little concerned that that 30 day trial program you had me download may have done more harm than good. I've since uninstalled the program, but are the settings it saved still on my computer (ie: the changes it made to my memory and internet connection)?

Stef

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes any changes you made were saved, I use that programme myself and have done for two years now with no ill effect :) . If you post a list of your startup items from msconfig I will help you decide which ones can be removed

caricaturd

caricaturd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
The startup list is as follows:
atiptaxx
IMJPMIG
ImScinst
TINTSETP
TINTSETP
jusched
winampa
QTTask
iTunesHelper
ctfmon
GoogleToolbarNotifier
CTDetect
Adobe Reader Speed Launch
Microsoft Office
ERUNT Autobackup

Question: will there be any negative effects on the programs I choose to disable at startup, eg: will itunes or winamp run slower if I don't startup with them?

Thanks again!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
These ones can quite comfortably be disabled - they may take a microsecond or two longer to start but there is no requirement for them to run every time

atiptaxx
jusched
winampa
QTTask
iTunesHelper
Adobe Reader Speed Launch
Microsoft Office
ERUNT Autobackup
CTDetect