Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Backing up and memory

• Please log in to reply

Scorpiovicki

Scorpiovicki

• Pip
  • 2 posts
At work we just started a new digital imaging program for xrays. I am being told that if I enter simple data as in patients names this has caused the system to slow down. My response was it isn't the data entry its the xray images that are taking up space. I believe we need more memory.
*** Djk has quit (Ping timeout)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
text data (.txt ) uses very little space on your hard drive ...images do take up a LOT of space...
are you confusing hard drive space with memory...memory is ram and as soon as you shut down the computer everything in the ram is gone ..its known as Volatile memory ...
non-volatile memory (hard drive) which does not require a maintained power supply is where you save your data to..

Scorpiovicki

Scorpiovicki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I understand what you are saying. I was accused of slowing down the system at work by simply adding in patients names. I was told that what few names I put in made the system take 45 minutes to backup. I don't want to be blamed for something that I am not responsible for doing. I need to go into work tomorrow with facts so I can cover my rear. Thanks for your response. Please reply again if you have any info as far as backup.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
This is an easy one :)

Have the person doing the backup look at the files on the hard drive. Compare the size of the text data you entered to even a single image file. If he doesn't understand that then your company needs to find a new IT person.