Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help Req: Setup Laptop to use internet

• Please log in to reply

BIGEYE

BIGEYE

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I have 3 pc's connected to my router (all wired connections), all working fine. I have a Panasonic Toughbook laptop with that I want to use on port 4 of my router.
Connected laptop to port 4 and set up internet connection through Windows XP to broadband always on. When I try to get any web sites, I keep drawing a blank, and being asked to work offline as a result of the laptop not being able to find the network connection (I think).

What I did notice in IE down in the bottom left, when I type in a web address, it displays a message detecting proxy settings. I don't use a proxy server.

In Control Panel > Network Connections, I was displaying two connections:
  • Wireless Network Connection which I disabled
  • Local Area Connection - Connected
Disabling the wireless connection made no difference.

I tried the laptop on other ports, and still not working.

I have setup laptops before to use this port, but not this one.

Appreciate any help on getting this working.

TIA

Advertisements

BIGEYE

BIGEYE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Sorted! LAN properties, Internet Protocol TCP/IP was set to 100.100.100.47.
Changed this to get settings automatically.