Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help me!

• Please log in to reply

wolfe1313

wolfe1313

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey folks. Looks like I'm in a bit of a jam. I use an iomega LPHD080-U external 80gig hard drive to store photos and music, and something bad's happened: The computer no longer recognizes the drive, and keeps telling me that I need to format it, which a problem, since it's got a few years' worth of photos and my whole digital music collection. The computer sees the drive and calls it drive F, but not iomega like it used to. I cannot access it without the format message appearing.

I'm running this on vista, so I'm not entirely sure what to do (I'm new to the system). Still, the system recognized the drive only two days ago, so I'm scared at what may have happened or caused this. It won't autoplay, and the computer can't read its size or used space. I haven't updated any drivers since this happened, and the only thing I've installed since has been an old game that seems to be cutting out a lot of the time.

Is there anything I can do to check the device? How can I recover the info? Is the data still there? It was working fine a few days ago, so I'm stumped.

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum...I just figured out that there's a hardware forum too... fool...

All help is appreciated.

Yousef

Edited by wolfe1313, 24 February 2008 - 07:42 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first ...try connecting the external drive to another computer...can it see the data...if so ...burn copies to cd/dvds

hjoab

hjoab

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Maybe too late for replies, but I experienced similar problems with my LPHD080-U and I used RECUVA (which is free) to recover all the data on it. Excellent tool. Later I tried to get the manual of the IOMEGA from WWW with no luck. I´ve lost the original. But it looks like something related to the options you selected on windows about hdd performance (with/without cache,etc) could be the problem. Open My PC and click on any hdd icon with the right button, go for properties and in the open window seek for the hardware tab, then select the corresponding disk driver from the list, and again click on the properties button there, and set up the settings you believe are better for your driver. It looks like it is better to select for no cache.

################################################

Adding: I fixed up the problems by formatting the IOMEGA. I got the manual at
http://www.iomega.co...n.html#portdual

there you can know how to format the Iomega as FAT32 or NTFS. I formatted it as NTFS and I have no more problems since then. (Suggestion: format it first as FAT32 using the free download FAT32 formatter from IOMEGA and then follow the manual instructions to format it as NTFS. It uses a cache by default, I suggest you not to change this setting.
Good Luck

################################################

Adding: It is better to set it up without cache in XP.

Edited by hjoab, 27 October 2009 - 05:51 PM.