Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which case and PSU to buy?

• Please log in to reply

mfarre03

mfarre03

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I know I know, no one seems to like case/psu combos but my old case and 420w won't cut it for my new build. This is what I have at home:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811156135

These are the two cases that I like:

http://www.tigerdire...e...4&CatId=106

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811156078

Guess if money was no object then I would look at others but it is...lol. I trust your guys judgement.

Thanks,
Mike

Advertisements

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Alright, so close to finally ordering my parts, now that the new 9600gt came out I'm kind of confused as to what video card I want. I decided to up my card price to $150, so where do I go? The 8800gs is on Newegg for $149 or the 9600gt for $179, thats a $30 difference. Do I just save the money and order the 8800?

Thanks,
Mike

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150275

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150277

Edited by mfarre03, 24 February 2008 - 12:15 PM.

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Ok, here it is, I'm done with driving my gf nuts and decided to just order the parts...I am installing XP home which I already have...what do you all think?

Mobo
CPU
Video Card
RAM
HD
CPU Cooler
Silver Compound

Case and PSU

I was going to go with the 9600gt but for the money the 8800gs should do just fine.

Edited by mfarre03, 24 February 2008 - 01:23 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

From our Mid-Budget Build:

We recommended the Antec Sonata III 500, it comes with a quality 500W Antec PSU.

Cheers

Troy

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thanks, I did see that build but didn't like the case. I ended up buying the Ultra Grid, figured they had the better PSU btw the two I was looking at. I hope I don't have any problems, been running a cheap Raidmax 420 combo for the last 4 years now and it never had a problem.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I have seen Ultra PSUs get horrid reviews...

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Don't remove the pre-applied grease to add the artic cooling. It's just a not needed mess. Keep the AC around for whenever you may have to reseat the cooler.

Throw the Ultra PSU in garbage. Buy a quality PSU because you don't want death coming early to your new PC.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this is a little late but this case here looks good $69.99
got a Video on the case at the link...
removable motherboard tray...
quick release hard drive bays Mount your hard drives forward or backwards, you decide. This allows for maximum case modification, and cable management....
front ports, featuring USB, Firewire, and Audio ...
Material: Aluminum

External 5.25" Drive Bays: 5

External 3.5" Drive Bays: 2

Internal 3.5" Drive Bays: 5

Expansion Slots: 7

Front USB Ports: 2

Front FireWire Ports: 1

Front Audio Ports: 2

120mm Fan Ports: 2

120mm Fans Included: None

Depth: 19"

Width: 8.75"

Height: 21"

Edited by happyrck, 25 February 2008 - 09:24 AM.

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
That was the main reason for buying that case< LOL. I could have gotten it cheaper without a powersupply. I've been running my current system on a Raidmax psu and its been fine. Do people have a lot of trouble with Ultra power supplys? Seems like the reviews were pretty good.

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Very nice case, didn't care too much for the front, have that type on my Raidmax. I decided to buy the Ultra Grid because it came with the PSU. Hopefully I will be a happy camper with it< LOL

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

The Antec to which I linked is the only Case and PSU combo we can recommend at this time, all other combos include poor-quality PSUs. I hope the Ultra doesn't give you too much trouble.

Other than that, we always recommend a separate Case and PSU. Having a poor-quality PSU has the possibility of ruining components. I have had (in the past) a cheap PSU fry my RAM and motherboard with its inconsistent voltages :) Luckily it was under warranty at the time, but I have learnt my lesson from it :)

Troy

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Depends. are you going to get SLI them anytime in the near foreseeable future?

The GS was put out only as a temporary competition for the HD3850 from ATI and the 9600 was supposed to replace it.

If your going to SLI them anytime soon, get the 9600gt, if not, save up and get the 8800gt (G92) 512mbs.

I personally don't like hardware when they first come out (or anything for that matter) because of compatibility issues or bad drivers and other stuff. So i suggest saving up and getting a 8800gt

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 25 February 2008 - 07:32 PM.

Matt Brownn

Matt Brownn

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
i agree wait.. if you don't plan on SLI i would get the 8800

mfarre03

mfarre03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Oh well, I ended up buying the 8800gs from Newegg. No one replied last night and I just couldn't wait, LOL. I wasn't going to SLI them anyway

Matt Brownn

Matt Brownn

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
haha yea that is a good card hope you like it :)