Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! XP loading really slow

• Please log in to reply

jimbodan

jimbodan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just got a new computer not more then 2 weeks ago, this computer is pretty fast, these are the specs:

Windows XP SP2
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe NForce 4 mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3800
1GB of Corsair Ram
(2) 200 gig western digital hard drives in RAID array
Sound Blaster Audigy
(2) Geforce 6800 GT 256mb SLI pci-e video cards

Everything had been running very smoothely until I installed a patch for Age of Empires 2. I restarted my computer and got an error on startup (any way I can find a log file that logs whatever that error may be) After getting the error I restarted again and noticed my startup time was a lot longer then it had been, about 30-40 seconds longer, in addition whenever I open up 'My Computer" for the first time it takes about 10-15 seconds for any of the drives to show up. After the first time it appears to load up normally.

I have absolutely no idea how to fix this, or even what the problem is. I immediately uninstalled Age of Empires 2, tried to system restore back to yesterday, ran Chkdsk, ran AVG anti-virus, ran spybot, ran ad-aware, and ran Trojan Guarder Gold. None of those things fixed the problem so I have no idea what to do next.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by jimbodan, 23 April 2005 - 01:28 AM.

Advertisements

jimbodan

jimbodan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
More info: Now all of a sudden Sid Meier's Pirates! appears to crash just about everytime I get in a ship battle, right after I win the fencing match. The whole computer freezes up and if I'm lucky i can ctrl-esc to see the following error:

something involving NV4_disp driver.

Then I have manually reset my computer and I get the following errors after it informs me windows has recovered from a serious error:

First time it crashed I got this one

C:\documents and settings\jimbodan\local settings\temp\wer173d.dir00\mini042205-02.dmp

C:\documents and settings\jimbodan\local settings\temp\wer173d.dir00\sysdata.xml

Second crash I got this one

C:\documents and settings\jimbodan\local settings \temp\wer109b.dir\Mini042305-01.dmp
C:\documents and settings\jimbodan\local settings\temp\wer109b.dir\Sysdata.xml

I don't know if this related to my other problem, but I find it strange that Pirates would run perfectly for literally hours at a time these last couple days, then all of a sudden right after my windows problem all of a sudden I can't play more then 5 minutes without it crashing.

Edited by jimbodan, 23 April 2005 - 01:17 AM.

gino5555

gino5555

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm getting the exact same error files (mini...&sysdata), but on startup. It doesn't seem to be coming from any one program startup, but I was able to get my laptop running again by dumping the folder with the files. Mine was also in the local/temp, but in WER2fdd.dir00.

Happened earlier this week also. I dumped the temp file and my laptop's been running fine, now it's back. Searching the boards to try and find the problem.

jimbodan

jimbodan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Problem has been solved, I re-installed age of empires and everything is working well now. Maybe the patch screwed up some of windows files that Age of empires 2 was using or something? Also I re-installed pirates and everything there is working well.