Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intel Xeon E3110 Vs E8400

• Please log in to reply

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Heard they are very very similair. I need to know if they will work with this MB that I want to get.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128059

I want to get the E8400 but I can't find it anywhere for a decent price. I really am tired of waiting. So I want to get the E3110 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co...mp;linkCode=asn

The only place I could find it on a trustworthy site. You have any other sites let me know. Just want to know the difference. (From what I found is there isn't one besides the name.) And will the motherboard work. I was told this MB works with the new 45 nm. But just wanted to confirm. Thanks.

EDIT: Also, should I just wait a little longer for the E8400 to go back in stock at Tiger or Newegg. How long will it take do you think. Intel wants to sell the E6xxx series. But how long will it take? The price was said to go down to 190. But its 240 on Newegg now. How long will it take?

Edited by Thexgene14, 24 February 2008 - 01:38 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The E8000 series has been incredibly popular, lots of places across the world are sold out. Apparently the stock situation should settle down next month. Lots of demand, not enough supply.

The Xeon E3110 has the same CPU ID code as an E8400 so to all intents and purposes its exactly the same processor. However Xeon processors work in different ways and they're server chips, not gaming chips, therefore not all boards will talk to them.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Don't use a serve CPU for a gaming PC. it just isn't smart. Gaming CPUs are made for different uses therefore they have different features form a Server CPU.

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Ok thats what I was thinking. Thanks for the quick reply and great help as always. :)