Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer restarts when viewing videofiles

• Please log in to reply

andthebeanstalk

andthebeanstalk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone. I have a laptop running XP that I got a year ago right before Vista came out. I used to have a really irritating problem, then it completely went away, and now it has resurfaced and was wondering if anyone on a tech forum might be able to help me out.

Whenever I open a folder than has video files (I'm not sure if it's just avi or others, but to be safe let's just say all video files), explorer closes for a second, and then reopens, with everything looking fine except for the folder which had the video files in it, which is now closed. It makes it pretty difficult to watch through my videos, let alone trying to browse around to see what I have. Does anyone know what's going on or a way to get rid of this? Thanks for your help and time everyone.

-Jack

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
One possibility, it could be XP trying to create thumbnail views of all image files (jpg/mpg/avi/tiff/gif/png/etc.) in that directory.

If the video files are large or any are corrupted, it could cause Windows Explorer to crash or hang.

You can stop XP from doing this via one of the following:

Use ShellExView to disable Video Thumbnail Extractor.

Use regedit:

Click on Start then Run, type regedit and press Enter.

Delete HKCR\CLSID\{c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590} to get rid of thumbnail previews but keep the summary details in the properties tab.

You can also delete HKCR\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandle to disable display of summary details in the properties tab.

As always, before you make any changes to the registry, please back it up. An excellent way to do this is to install ERUNT. Let it add an entry to your Start menu during the install process. That will allow ERUNT to backup your registry each time you boot. It only takes a few seconds and has no real impact on boot time. Run ERUNT immediately after installing it to create a full registry backup.