Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Connection

• Please log in to reply

mikeya

mikeya

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi all.

I recently bought and installed a wireless router (TP Link). I no longer want the router so i disconnected it and went back to my original setup. Now i can't connect to the Internet at all.

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Advertisements

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Could you please provide more information?

mikeya

mikeya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi, i installed the Wireless router so that my kids could play on line with the Nontendo WII. However, i have problems when i want to d/l movies etc...something to do with not being able to forward a port due to the wireless router settings. I thought rather than trying to sort this out i'd just disconnect the router and just put the cable back between the ISP's MODEM and the back of my PC. I though i would be able to connect to the internet as normal but for some reason it won't.

Hope this is enough info for you.

Thanks
Mike

jeffk813

jeffk813

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
It's possible that your computer is set up to use what's called a "STATIC IP address". You can check this by going into the control panel, and double clicking "network connections". In the window that pops up, you'll see a few entries, one of which should be labeled " Local Area Connection". Double-click that. Next, click on the "Properties" button at the bottom-left of the new window. yet another window will pop up, this one labeled "Local Area Connection Properties". On the "General" tab, a box will show up under the header "This connection uses the following items:" In that window scroll down until you see "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Select this and then click "Properties" beneath it.

One more window will emerge, labeled "Internet Protocol Properties". On the "General" tab, make sure that the "obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" radio buttons are checked.

"OK" and "CLOSE" your way out and try connecting again. You MAY be prompted to reboot. If you are, do so.

If that doesn't fix it, we can try something else.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
are you using windows XP or windows vista?

check the ip address of the computer

click start>run>type cmd > command prompt will appear and then
type ipconfig /all in the cmd prompt screen and then
post the ip address, default gateway here. Thanks.

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
You may also want to attempt and ping and address such as:

ping google.com

This can be done in Command Prompt.